2015 Display List of Models and Builders

Kitmaster, Airfix and Dapol railway model kits

Moderator: JamesPerrin

Ratch
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: 2015 Display List of Models and Builders

Post by Ratch »

Tom, rake of coaches, raft of wagons :ha:
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

TomW wrote:Currently bidding on a rake of 6 Airfix Mineral Wagons on Ebay, part built and needing wheelsets, fingers crossed!

Regards

Tom
Forgive me if I'm preaching to the choir mate, but wheel set shouldn't be a problem to source. I know Hornby do them in different styles, including 'spoked' ones for wagons. I have replaced many wheel sets on my stock for my layout and the improved running is well worth the cost.

An example for you:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HORNBY-R8098- ... 5b0c3c6e30;

Cheers
Al.

Edit: Sorry, I've just seen you said Mineral Wagons so you'll probably need the 'three holed' ones, not 'spoked' ones.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HORNBY-R8097- ... 5b0c4cd6ef;
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
TomW

Post by TomW »

Ratch wrote:Tom, rake of coaches, raft of wagons :ha:
Thanks Ratch :ha: I had a feeling it wasn't right when I typed.

beany wrote:
TomW wrote:Currently bidding on a rake of 6 Airfix Mineral Wagons on Ebay, part built and needing wheelsets, fingers crossed!

Regards

Tom
Forgive me if I'm preaching to the choir mate, but wheel set shouldn't be a problem to source. I know Hornby do them in different styles, including 'spoked' ones for wagons. I have replaced many wheel sets on my stock for my layout and the improved running is well worth the cost.

An example for you:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HORNBY-R8098- ... 5b0c3c6e30;

Cheers
Al.

Edit: Sorry, I've just seen you said Mineral Wagons so you'll probably need the 'three holed' ones, not 'spoked' ones.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HORNBY-R8097- ... 5b0c4cd6ef;

Cheers for the links Al, I actually wasn't 100% which type of wheel I would need, now lets hope my bids are successful.

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10
TomW

Post by TomW »

Success! Al can you add a raft of 11 Airfix Mineral Wagons (with loads :grin: ) to our display.

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Ratch

Post by Ratch »

11 :shock: No wonder I can never find any :lol:
Airfix Tribute Forum
TomW

Post by TomW »

Yep and all for the grand total of £17.40 including the postage :-D All I need to get are 6 wheelsets and a few sets of decals to complete them.

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

chrism

Post by chrism »

I should think with 11 of them we have enough for the train line to be coming out of a quarry..
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Al,
Thank you for your work pulling this together.

I have looked at your updated list of models/providers and modified mine to remove items you seem to already have under control.

Kitmaster Coaches with Peco Interiors. I offer these as my main effort.
B.R. Corridor 2nd (or with Open interior)
B.R. Corridor 2nd Brake (1 already built, but see previous discussion re suitability)
B.R. Corridor Composite
B.R. Restaurant 1st Coach (kit interior, no Peco card one)

From the design of your layout, it seems that four coaches might be a lot, so please tell me what you would like to have and I will start work. I have two(2) Corridor 2nd available (note the interior option) and one(1) each of the others available for you to select from.

This also brings up the livery question. Ignoring the various fan-boy remarks :) tossed about a couple weeks ago, what livery would you like them in to complement the display? I have a preference for 'blood & cream' or 'chocolate & cream' but will do green or maroon or any combination thereof. Please let me know.

Also, the Peco interiors include card people & luggage. Would you want them built or simply confine myself to the interior walls and seats? If they are not moving or part of an active platform scene, the people might be superfluous. I have enough people/baggage to also populate the restaurant car. Please let me know.

My thought initially was these would be static; if you think you will pull them around, let me know and I'll work on finding some proper running gear, couplers, etc - any suggestions welcome. All kits do have metal plate floor weights already.

Other items, not yet ticked on your list. I have the following available. Depending on your response to the coaches, I may be able to do a couple-three of these, or alternatively I will be happy to donate the kits you need to the CBK ( someone who would be able to complete them).

Buildings, all Airfix:
Engine Shed. (2)
Girder Bridge (1)

Wagons, all Airfix. (I have 1 Brake Van & 1 Cattle Wagon completed that I can/will ship regardless).
Brake Van (2)
Cattle Wagon (2)
Cement Wagon (2)
Meat Van (2)
Mineral Wagon (2) (although it seems TomW has these now well-covered)
Refrigerated Van (1)
Prestwin Silo Wagon (2)

If I am to donate, I will rely on you to select what you need and sort who should get them.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

A work related trip to Bristol gave me a chance to spend my travel expenses on three Dapol kits.

Drewery Shunter
Interfering van
Presflo Cement Wagon

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
beany

Post by beany »

John - Sorry for the delay in replying - ironically my job as a railway engineer is keeping me very busy at the moment!
jRatz wrote:Kitmaster Coaches with Peco Interiors. I offer these as my main effort.
B.R. Corridor 2nd (or with Open interior)
B.R. Corridor 2nd Brake (1 already built, but see previous discussion re suitability)
B.R. Corridor Composite
B.R. Restaurant 1st Coach (kit interior, no Peco card one)

From the design of your layout, it seems that four coaches might be a lot, so please tell me what you would like to have and I will start work. I have two(2) Corridor 2nd available (note the interior option) and one(1) each of the others available for you to select from.
Of the above John I'd very much like a Corridor 2nd and a Corridor Brake to use on the running layout, hence they would need to be fitted with Hornby style couplings. I've done this on some of my Airfix Wagons before - just pack them to the correct height (depth?) with plasticard and then superglue them in place, or use a pin or brass rod, whichever works best for you.
jRatz wrote:This also brings up the livery question. Ignoring the various fan-boy remarks :) tossed about a couple weeks ago, what livery would you like them in to complement the display? I have a preference for 'blood & cream' or 'chocolate & cream' but will do green or maroon or any combination thereof. Please let me know.
I'd prefer Blood and Cream (Blood and Custard to us trainspotters) as IMHO it best suits the period and is region neutral to all intents, but I'd have no problem with GWR Brown and Cream - it would equally suit the locos that will be hauling them.
If you wanted to do two other coaches in the other livery to the one you choose above (or the all over Southern Region Green for contrast with the two tone schemes mentioned) that would be excellent and I will make sure there is space on the layout for them. These would be also be good with Hornby couplings so we could alternate the running coaches, but if not they will look good as static exhibits.
jRatz wrote:Also, the Peco interiors include card people & luggage. Would you want them built or simply confine myself to the interior walls and seats? If they are not moving or part of an active platform scene, the people might be superfluous. I have enough people/baggage to also populate the restaurant car. Please let me know.
Yes please John! I want to show the exuberance and fun we have modelling with these classics from our childhood so I'll take all the additional bells and whistles you want to offer.
jRatz wrote:Other items, not yet ticked on your list. I have the following available. Depending on your response to the coaches, I may be able to do a couple-three of these, or alternatively I will be happy to donate the kits you need to the CBK ( someone who would be able to complete them).
Buildings, all Airfix:
Engine Shed. (2) Yes please both if you are able (if time permits).
Girder Bridge (1) No thanks, because none of the track will be elevated so I can't see how we could utilise it.

Wagons, all Airfix. (I have 1 Brake Van & 1 Cattle Wagon completed that I can/will ship regardless).
Brake Van (2)
Cattle Wagon (2)
Cement Wagon (2)
Meat Van (2)
Mineral Wagon (2) (although it seems TomW has these now well-covered)
Refrigerated Van (1)
Prestwin Silo Wagon (2)

To be honest John the wagons are all still very easily available over here and from current pledges I think we are well covered, but I appreciate the offer (and reserve the right to get back to you if this turns out not to be the case please :ha: )

Many thanks John, I'm getting very excited about seeing the coaches in the flesh already!
Cheers
Al.
beany

Post by beany »

splash wrote:A work related trip to Bristol gave me a chance to spend my travel expenses on three Dapol kits.

Drewery Shunter
Interfering van :shock: Let's keep this family friendly please Splash :ha: :ha: :ha:
Presflo Cement Wagon

Regards Splash
Thanks Splash, I'll add these to the list.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

OK, Al, thanks for your full response - I think I know enough for now to get started; I have a build thread open, so keep an eye on me.

EDIT: Al, I have looked at couplings, do you want the Hornby "Tension Hook" and if so what width, or the Hornby "Slip bar close". I found a great pdf on couplings - I was wondering exactly what height you want. Remember we are separated by a common language and two different rail standards :) . Also could you or anyone recommend a good online-order rail parts shop for overseas; I have my Railway Modeller, but cannot tell who/what ....

Lastly, to confirm - two OOB engine sheds, you don't want me to do a double-wide or double-long or any of that ?
beany

Post by beany »

This is the type of couplings I have in mind John.
I couldn't say exactly what height they need to be. You could take your best guess and then I'll make sure the couplings on the loco will match, or alternatively, if you prefer, once you have finished the coaches I'd be happy to source the couplings and fit them over here.
EDIT Another option is that I'd be happy to source the couplings via eBay and mail them over to you John.

As far as recommending a supplier, I usually just go straight to eBay myself - that is where I got the image from.

Engine shed wise - a double length one would be great. I've never built the kit but from pictures it looks like it wouldn't accommodate anything other than the smallest tank engine on its own!

Cheers
Al.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Thanks, Al, those appear to be the wide tension hook and I'll go to eBay (duh!) & find 'em myself; I was thinking of some better wheels, maybe some other detail goodies also - I have been wanting to do that for static purposes but not got around to it.

A double-long it is; you are right, it's tiny by itself. The kit of course says it can be done but offers no guidance other than "plan ahead" :) but it should not be hard - the double-wide would have been more work.
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

Does anyone know whether there is an interior available for the Airfix Park Royal Railbus? I understand that Branchlines did make one but I'm not sure whether they're still trading :roll:
Airfix Tribute Forum

Return to “SMW 2015 - Going loco”