2015 Display Table Design Thread

Kitmaster, Airfix and Dapol railway model kits

Moderator: JamesPerrin

PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Re: 2015 Display Table Design Thread

Post by PaulBradley »

Good start!

Looking again at the original rough layout, will the decreased depth affect it at all? And, given that we only have the one ship, should we have less 'water' space?
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
chrism
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by chrism »

I have a suitable scale 3-masted mishap of a sailing ship that I am going to do a cunning cobble and hopeful recovery on, from the mess of a paint job it currently sports, starting tomorrow. It will not be rigged with all the lines and block/tackle that I generally use, but it will have the simplistic basic level of rigging that Airfix/Revell/whoever generally offer with a kit. and I will cut/hack/chew the bottom of it off, so that it sits as a waterline :twisted:
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Cool - what kit?
Paul

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That's a neat fit of the baseboards into the car Al. The time is now fast approaching when will will have to give thought as to how much is going to fit on there - for instance have you planned for a separate module for the dockyard scene because there is at least one quite large E-Boat sized vessel under construction.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

ShaunW wrote:The time is now fast approaching when will will have to give thought as to how much is going to fit on there - for instance have you planned for a separate module for the dockyard scene because there is at least one quite large E-Boat sized vessel under construction.
The layout will still be as per this diagram - I am taking responsibily for the middle section with the track on, so the parts to either side will be up to others to populate.

Tom and Chris' boat will be to the left of the dockside cranes and so this expanse of water can be as wide or narrow as we see fit. If anyone wants to add another board the other side of the water, i.e to the far left, hence making it more of a canal, then that's fine but just remember it will have to stand approx 25mm above the table surface to match the main board. Also, I'll need to know about it sooner rather than later to plan the rest of the table space.

Also, for now I am envisioning the light blue table clothes we've been using will pass off as the "water" unless anyone want to do something more ambitious.

For the right hand end, there was mention of using the green grass mats that are available for rail modellers etc. but I don't know if we have a hard pledge from anyone to provide this - my apologies if I've missed that. If not then they will be standing on the light blue table cloth as well. This is where I see Paul's and any other planes standing (and the control tower). This width will be variable depending on how much is taken up by the dockyard/canal on the day.

Once the primer is dry on the boards - it's taking forever - and I have laid the track I can ascertain how much room there is either side for the dockyard and the airfield once the garage, churchyard, remembrance day scene etc. (that I now have in my possession) have been placed.

By next weekend I would expect to be firming up on these details and seeing the final plan come together.

The time for "we could do this" or "we could do that are over". As I see it, you've either built it or are currently in the process of building it, and so I can allocate the space for it, or it isn't likely to happen now.
Having said that, the whole thing is still a joint effort and so everyone who is there on Friday afternoon for set up at Telford will have the opportunity to fine tune and move thing about without me necessarily stabbing them in the back of the hand with an X-Acto knife - probably!

Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
TomW

Post by TomW »

beany wrote:For the right hand end, there was mention of using the green grass mats that are available for rail modellers etc. but I don't know if we have a hard pledge from anyone to provide this - my apologies if I've missed that. If not then they will be standing on the light blue table cloth as well.
I'll provide the green grass mat for that section Al plus roads and hedges as I said at Farnborough :grin:

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

OK, I'm wit cho' ass. Indeed, we will now have to start firming this up and those side modules for the airfield and the dockside will need thought. If I'm right, a fair bit of the airfield stuff may well be t'other side of the pond to be shipped over by Paul.

Thinking aloud, I'll take a look through the build threads with a view to compiling a "where we are now" thread or similar so builds/time estimates for completion/shipping etc can be seen at a glance. Let me give my brain a workout.

IPMS#12300
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

I've been working on the control tower this morning; we'll have that and the little club house, building-wise, for the airfield. I have two aircraft complete and two others that I anticipate will make the trip. I also have a few figures and a Land Rover (ex-Bloodhound) to help populate the open spaces. Tom is working on a couple of other airfield vehicles.

Somewhere in our amassed past project model bank is the Airfix ambulance that I made for the Airfix 1976 display - we could, perhaps, use that on the airfield. Also, if we are still going to have the 'tank museum', there are a small number of suitable armoured vehicles in our model bank, including my Matchbox Comet. I know we prefer to use all-new models for our displays, but these might help to bulk out the display.
Paul

chrism

Post by chrism »

You don't have the rememberance day board. I brought it to show and took it home. It needs a gap 10inch x 10inch. You do have everything else I had done/built at that time. I now have the second crane - built, and am working at cobbling something together with a 3-masted little ship.

With time marching on and the days counting down - I will just re-say : if anyone has something that is started and will struggle to finish or that has not yet been started but needs to be .... let me know and if it gets to me soon there is a chance I can get it done over next couple weeks. I have time available to do things.
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
beany

Post by beany »

TomW wrote:I'll provide the green grass mat for that section Al plus roads and hedges as I said at Farnborough :grin:
That's great Tom - and don't forget those sexy little road signs you brought.
ShaunW wrote:OK, I'm wit cho' ass.
Whoa, easy Tiger :ha:
Thinking aloud, I'll take a look through the build threads with a view to compiling a "where we are now" thread or similar so builds/time estimates for completion/shipping etc can be seen at a glance.
That would be great Shaun, I appreciate the effort.
PaulBradley wrote:Somewhere in our amassed past project model bank is the Airfix ambulance that I made for the Airfix 1976 display - we could, perhaps, use that on the airfield. Also, if we are still going to have the 'tank museum', there are a small number of suitable armoured vehicles in our model bank, including my Matchbox Comet. I know we prefer to use all-new models for our displays, but these might help to bulk out the display.
I'm really excited about the airfield and your contributions Paul, can't wait to see them. Do you have any idea who has the models in "the bank" Paul; I certainly haven't?
chrism wrote:You don't have the remembrance day board. I brought it to show and took it home.
Oh yeah Chris, I forgot about that, but I'll cut out a 10 x 10" template to allow for it on the baseboard.

Sounds like it's all coming together guys, many thanks.
Al.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I am on track to be putting my stuff (double long train shed, 5 coaches) in the post 16-19 Oct.

Need mailing address soonest so I can go check what options I have.

I'll do a thread photo update next day or so.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Same as John, I'll need to know who I'm mailing to. I have a long weekend over the 16-18 to finish up, so I'd like to send them out on the 19th. That gives just over 2 weeks for transit.

Al, I don't know who is currently holding previous years' models - Tom and James might know.
Paul

beany

Post by beany »

I don't want to be transporting anyone elses models this year due to the space already taken up by the baseboard and the models I already have from Chris and my own for CBK and other SIG tables at Telford. Would someone kindly volunteer to receive John and/or Paul's models from across the pond please - obviously with a view to getting them to Telford for both days.
Cheers
Al.
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

Well, I'm 99.5% certain of attending, going down on Friday and staying until Sunday, and the car's plenty big enough... Paul's already got my Shipley address, and I can send it over to John...

bestest,
M.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

mattbacon wrote:Well, I'm 99.5% certain of attending, going down on Friday and staying until Sunday, and the car's plenty big enough... Paul's already got my Shipley address, and I can send it over to John...

bestest,
M.
You're potentially a life saver Matt. Unfortunately I'm almost certain I won't be able to attend on Friday due to work issues - the company is in the poo - if it goes belly up by the end of the month and I'm on the dole then my attendance won't be an issue - but in the meantime it has to be all hands on deck and as I'm one of the senior people....... If there are any issues then I am certainly willing to take delivery of builds via my in-laws. Please let me know if that will be required. I will be there first thing on Saturday.

IPMS#12300

Return to “SMW 2015 - Going loco”