Jamesaw's Victorious**Launched sans Air Group**

Our 2nd sea-going GB, for any ship, any scale, etc. Does not include amphibious aircraft or vehicles - the medium is water.
Runs 6 weeks, 2 May - 13 Jun; your host is Dazzled. Extended to 28 June.
jamesaw
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Jamesaw's Victorious**Launched sans Air Group**

Post by jamesaw »

Have to dig it out of the stash this evening. I have another set of aircraft and ordered 1:600 roundels from Starfighter. White Ensign Royal Navy set 1 and 2 are on standby for the railings and radars. Picture to follow.

Howard

Dazzled

Re: Jamesaw's Victorious

Post by Dazzled »

It's just as well I'm building the Forrestal. Two Vickys might have turned this GB into a contest ;-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
jamesaw

Post by jamesaw »

Dazzled wrote:It's just as well I'm building the Forrestal. Two Vickys might have turned this GB into a contest ;-)
Nah-it's only a contest if trophies are involved and there are judges to be bribed. If you'd rather go with the Vicky, I certainly wouldn't mind, especially since you're the boss on this one.
jamesaw

Post by jamesaw »

OK-got the camera going. I had to go back to my Type I box to get the instructions and check the parts. I had loose parts and no decals or instructions with the box I pulled. The plan is to use the White Ensign crane, mast and railings to jazz it up a bit. I`m dropping the Skyraiders (don`t like em) and planning to add more Sea Vixens and Scimitars. Also planning to swipe the Wessex`s from a Fearless kit unless anyone knows where I could buy a few.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Good call on dropping the Skyraiders. They're pretty poorly moulded, even by the standards of a kit of this vintage.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
jamesaw

Post by jamesaw »

Dazzled wrote:Good call on dropping the Skyraiders. They're pretty poorly moulded, even by the standards of a kit of this vintage.
I don't have props that big in my etch stash either-so 4 Skyraiders with props running and you just know they're not going to be positioned for launch (not when there are perfectly good Sea Vixens and Scimitars on deck).
jamesaw

Post by jamesaw »

Anybody know anything about Tumbling Dice products? Apparently Buccs and Gannets are available in 1/600 but I can't seem to find any pictures.

Got the hull and prop shafts assembled and the hull seam sanded. Next step is to follow Darryl's lead and box in the areas that will show daylight.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

I've been following their site for a while now with a view to picking up some 1/600 aircraft. They used to have pictures on there but there appears to have been a redesign lately and the pictures have disappeared. This might be down to the fact that the pictures didn't always download reliably. It is a bit disconcerting to buy something like this sight unseen and a Google search only turns up a few picture results. The unfortunate fact is that some are quite good while others are very crude and without any images to go by it's pot luck whether you'll get good representations of the aircraft you want.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

With all that brass, you should have a band also :grin: This will be fun to watch.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
TomW

Post by TomW »

I have a lot of Tumbling Dice aircraft for wargaming and on the whole they are pretty good for what they are. They are designed firstly as wargaming pieces so don't expect perfect replicas but with a bit of paint they are usually recognisable as the type they represent.

Regards

Tom

**Edit**

Dug a few out of the stash so you can get an idea, no Buccs or Gannets unfortunately but these are from my Suez Conflict collection:

From left to right and top to bottom; MD450 Ouragan, Sea Hawk, Canberra B.1, Wyvern and Sea Venom.

Hope that helps James :grin:

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10
jamesaw

Post by jamesaw »

jRatz wrote:With all that brass, you should have a band also :grin: This will be fun to watch.
I'm going minimalist on this one John-the other two US carriers almost put me in the loonie bin between the etch and putting the decals on the aircraft.
jamesaw

Post by jamesaw »

OK-1/600 aircraft decals arrived. Started to box in the hull openings and ordered Whirlwinds and Skyraiders from Tumbling Dice. More Pics coming on the weekend.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

I'd like to see what those aircraft are like. Can't understand why Tumbling Dice don't have pictures on their site?
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

jamesaw

Post by jamesaw »

Hull and propshafts sanded.
Started on filling in the openings.
Starfighter decals for the airgroup. Rather than try putting together 5 digit serials, I may try printing my own, but the roundels and fin flashes will be used.
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

Will be interesting to follow. I didn't know this kit even existed!

Return to “Nautical GB II”