E.E. Lightning SB 'The Lightning Boys!'

The Shared Build workspace and archive.
MarkyM607
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: E.E. Lightning SB 'The Lightning Boys!'

Post by MarkyM607 »

dwomby wrote:I can feel some mojo returning. The half-round strip I need for the cable ducts and the 1/4 tube I hope to use as jetpipes has arrived!

I see what you mean about the fuselage fit because of those 'snap-fit' pins, Stuart. I adopted a different solution to you - I have chopped them down to nubbins. Just enough to align the fuselage halves. I hope to close up the fuselages tomorrow.

Looks like articles I have read are correct - the tailplanes are set slightly too far to the rear. I'll see how easy that is to adjust.

David

David
Even if I do the F.6 rather than an F.2A I should probably get some half round strip too and sort the cable duct on this kit. It's probably half as wide as it should be but I can't be bothered with it!!. Terrible attitude I know! :oops:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

MarkyM607 wrote: ...... I can't be bothered with it!!. Terrible attitude I know! :oops:
not in my opinion. Sometimes I can do that other times I can't (it's when the anally retentive part of my nature wins out). ;-) You build it how you want and enjoy it (and I'll enjoy watching it here).

The tailplanes are another example - I'm going to have to move them forward 3mm. 3mm! I mean, why should I care about 3mm the thing would look like a Lightning if I don't move them but, for this build to satisfy me, they're going to have to be shifted.

David
Kitaholic

Post by Kitaholic »

Not sure if it's the pic but the tailplanes look longer on the kit than on the plan
Regards

Gord

Desperately trying to find his MOJO, don't know where I left it
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

It's the pic, Kit. In that pic, the tailplanes are mounted so they are closer to the camera than the plan but I couldn't think of a better way to illustrate things.

David
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Here's a pic of the tailplanes laid directly on the two sets of plans that I have.

Mind you, you have got me thinking. It would be so much easier to just shorten the tailplanes. I wonder if that would look satisfactory instead? :???:

David
fredk

Post by fredk »

No, not in my opinion
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

fredk wrote:No, not in my opinion
I dunno, Fred. This looks pretty good to me even though I know it's inaccurate. (Try ignoring that the proper tailplane is mounted about 1mm too far out at the moment and the colour of my cardboard test piece.)

Argh! Decisions, decisions ...............

David
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

That's a very interesting post David and in the best traditions I shall be sticking my fingers in my ears, shouting La La La, and just sticking the tailplanes in as the kit intended :-D
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

LOL and more power to you, Stuart. You build it how makes you happy.

You'll probably be finished weeks before me as I agonize for days over silly things like this.

David
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

dwomby wrote:LOL and more power to you, Stuart. You build it how makes you happy.

You'll probably be finished weeks before me as I agonize for days over silly things like this.

David
Yes I admit that I'm slapping this one together a bit - I just stuck the wings on... with tube glue :shock:

I suspect your build will be better.

(I will be taking more time over the T.55)

Cheers

Stuart

DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

I still use tube glue. In fact, I just glued the Lightning fuselages with it this morning. I find it very good for the main joints in models.

David
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

dwomby wrote:I still use tube glue. In fact, I just glued the Lightning fuselages with it this morning. I find it very good for the main joints in models.

David
Really? I find that interesting actually. Although I mainly use Tamiya Extra thin and the Revell fine applicator glues these days - I really like tube glue and should use it more often, I find the gap filling properties very good (I apply with a cocktail stick) and I like the nostalgia. Anyway - Those fine applicators are a PITA!

In other news I've just found a T.55 decal sheet from the MB kit complete on ebay - Result!!!!

Cheers

Stuart

DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Hey, Stuart. Is your starboard wing slightly short shot at the inner end of the aileron? I have 4 of these snap fit ones - 3 moulded in France (F3s) and 1 moulded in USA by MPC (F1A) and all the French ones are like this

Here's the fuselages. The cockpits have a seat and a bit of a cover under the windscreen to which I'll add some bits to make it busier but I will not add an IP as pilots will hide that area. The silver (MPC mould) one has an aftermarket seat and the other is the Afx seat but mounted further forward.

David
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

OK, slowly getting into it.

Here's a parts photo - I think I did one at the start, but here is another, from today even. They did not assemble themselves while sitting in the box over Christmas ...

I pulled all the parts out and tried to match them to the instruction doodles drawings. I have a couple extra whitemetal parts, but also think I am short one fin for the underside tank - no problem I can make that. I really have no good references for the Lightning, or just haven't found them yet - must look again.

The problem appears to be the fuselage half fit -- a combo of location pins/holes not quite right and some mold flash/gunk that I have to get rid of. I also wonder if the nose cone and fuselage have the same size/shape, but I'm a way from that yet.

The big problem is that we're in a freeze, temps in 20's(F) and wind chill in single digits so there's no resin being sanded until I can get outside and do it. It's not supposed to be doing this here, but we always get one week of it, so it'll be better shortly .... unless it's going to be like last year ....

Oh, yes, I made a smart remark about the nose weight Dazzled put in his 'Cranberry' build but now I wonder about all that resin in the tail of mine. Hopefully the gear sits far enough back - I'll have to measure that out before I seal the fuselage.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
fredk

Post by fredk »

It looks like the mold-maker has tried to reduce the amount of resin aft of the balance point. Even so it might be worth reducing it even more by taking out some from the belly tank and around the rear locating pin, leaving a thin wall there.
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.

Return to “Shared Build Workbench”