ChrisM's military movers : all 7 vehicles finished + figures

Enough said -- a GB celebrating Matchbox kits, to include "pure" re-pops. Join the fun!!
The GB runs 1st February to 4th March and your host is FredK.
chrism
Modelling Gent and Scholar

ChrisM's military movers : all 7 vehicles finished + figures

Post by chrism »

John very kindly also sent me some kits....

Of these: the Stuart and Churchill AVRE are kits which I really fancied having a good example of in my collection, and were the two kits that I was originally only intending on tackling. Then, I offered to build the Humber specifically for the CBK Telford display, and the other 3 (Comet, PzII and PzIII) I have solely as "backup" for the SIG Telford display.

I may also, depending on how I feel, tackle these, little chaps as well, and then I will have a small representative selection of Matchbox figures to base and have on display alongside my Airfix figure collection.

Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
fredk

Re: ChrisM's military movers

Post by fredk »

Excellent.
So whats the plan, start one after each other? two at a time?
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
chrism

Post by chrism »

No real plan yet ... we have a week or so till kick-off ... plenty of time to plan my attack
chrism

Post by chrism »

Sprues have been washed on all kits.. and in one-large sinkful of water. Sensibly I took the photos first as i unboxed everything, so I can identify what is what now..

The first couple of sprue sets which are going under the knife - the Honey and the Humber:

chrism

Post by chrism »

And after a couple of hours tonight I have made a little progress. I am now reduced to a very small work-area, (an old printer/computer workbench thing and I also now need to keep tools etc on a large tray that is almost size of this old chipboard thing... I will measure it tomorrow)

This one has so far gone together this far, very well... there are a lot of little bits that still need adding and I will only add them towards end of the build.

So I will now put this aside and get another needing similar paint colours to a similar state before opening any pots
chrism

Post by chrism »

Today I have dabbled a bit more.

First off, the sprue shots for a couple more of the fleet - namely the German vehicles:

Then a quick shot of latest progress, I have made a start with a couple more. The Honey has so far gone together nicely, and will make a good pairing with the Honey for assembling and painting together as they are both going to have the same base stone/light cream colour.

The inner hull plastic has as I usually do, provided a good place for trialling paint colours!
chrism

Post by chrism »

Earlier today, BP (before pub) I did a bit more... .

wheels ... there will be a few more sets of them to come over coming days for other kits.

Next up ... the Honey and the Humber have started to see some paint.

Finally for today ... the tracks for those two which have tracks so far! have seem some paint.

I am sure I was dragged down there by my neighbour on pretext of .. to watch some sport.. think it was a game of rugby ...
chrism

Post by chrism »

a bit more to show if anyone is following along:

Here you can see that 5 of the kits are now in progress, and the AVRE is all on the sprues.

I now still have 2 kits that are waiting in the wings - the Jadpanther and the AVRE, and all the bases to sort out. A number of them are "sandy" and the others "grass and mud" so they will be done en-masse in batches in due course!
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

That's an impressive collection you have there Chris.
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
fredk

Post by fredk »

chrism wrote:a bit more to show if anyone is following along: ...
We're all watching, just not saying too much.
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

This is a great collection of MB vehicles that you are tackling here Chris, very interesting indeed.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
iggie

Post by iggie »

Blimey Chris, that's some production line you've got going!! Excellent work
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
chrism

Post by chrism »

Glad to read your comments folks. Thanks for that. Time for an update. I need to update and show a couple of photos from Tuesday, when I got the Comet and one of the German pair a bit further along:

Here are the other 3 which are getting near to the stage of decals, but I can probably find a bit of other detail etc to do yet on these...

Next post will get me up to date, and show output upto end of week1
chrism

Post by chrism »

End of week 1 on this GB gets me to this point.

Five of the seven vehicle kits are in a good place; with three pretty near ready for decals, and the other two not that far behind. The final two have yet to be started, and all seven of the bases are still waiting their turn. Decalling will not be done until I have a few more ready to do, as there are so few on each it makes sense to try and have a decent session when I do.

I probably ought to have masked off for the camo scheme, but as the vehicle was so little, I opted for freehand painting! :oops:

When I get onto adding the final little bits and pieces once decals are on; I shall add aerials and some additional home-made stowage to most. The Comet will also get: guards on headlights from some thin wire, and fire-extinguishers shaped from sprue!
chrism

Post by chrism »

Fred or anyone else: if you are all looking in... could you advise on the recipe(s) you use for making a gloop for an alternative to filler... as the gaps I have are not enough for filler to hold in to, quite as well as I want, but I need something in there, , and tippex is not an answer so far either:

Return to “Classic Matchbox Kits”