jRatz: Sci-Fi "Submersible" aka Fish

Runs: August 22nd to September 18th
philp
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: jRatz: Sci-Fi "Submersible" aka Fish

Post by philp »

Hey John,
You might gleem some info on the original build for this. Here is a link to the last post before the final paint. At the bottom you can go backwards but I ended up getting lost before I found the beginning.
http://tinyurl.com/3bfhw7e
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Hey John, watch your top knot. Going to be wet and wild in a couple of days.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

philp wrote:Hey John,
You might gleem some info on the original build for this. Here is a link to the last post before the final paint. At the bottom you can go backwards but I ended up getting lost before I found the beginning.
http://fichtenfoo.net/blog/in-progress-;»-fish-sub-»-man-the-harpoons/
Thanks Phil, I think I found all parts. The guy is way beyond me, for one thing I don't have that color range on hand ... Still gives lots of good ideas ...
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

jssel wrote:Hey John, watch your top knot. Going to be wet and wild in a couple of days.
Yes, indeed. In fact no fish progress today as I spent the day in hurricane prep (and NO, I do not mean prep of a Hurricame model kit) .. and had a little earthquake tremor just to liven things up ....
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Hi John.
Do you have access to the sort of black tubing used on motorbike kits? I'm thinking that this would make a potential seal for your head-body join.

I also notice that the hinges are clearly identified, albeit just the external heads. Would you consider using brass pins to make these real? I'm thinking of carefully slicing off the resin heads first and then re-attaching them over the ends of the brass rod.

Resin windows polish nicely with Micromesh.

Good luck and will be watching with interest.

Regards,
Bruce
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Thanks, Bruce.

Yes I have various tubing that might work.

I think the hinge you are looking at is what I interpret as the "jaw" hinge -- I mentioned this earlier. That oblong flat plate appears to be a lower jaw, complete with "teeth". I doubt in the "real world" it would drop down -- I see no place where it might scoop up dinner.

However, I could consider that "jaw" decorative (which I think it is) and use the hinge for the head-body. I had thought briefly about that and will think about it again once I solve the fit-body fit issue. I can easily add a couple "clamps" inside the head to "lock it down" to the body.

What happens from here depends on Irene and it isn't looking good.
philp

Post by philp »

Good luck John with the model and Irene.

I was in Biloxi in 69 for Camille and she was no lady.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Been a while ... usual problems and a hurricane ...

Anyway, wifey & I ordered a couple bags of old watch parts. She's thinking of doing something quilty with them and might let me have a few to 'steam punk' my fish ...

As you know, one of my 'problems' has been displaying the interior. I have had various thoughts/suggestions about hingeing the head and that but it does need some pressure to keep it closed. Having seen Merlin's use of tabs/marker I got the idea to fit a couple rods in the head that would slide into holes on the body.

The fit isn't perfect and I need to make some kind of seal to cover the "leaks" around the edge, but at least I can start painting and detailing the interior.

And, I've cleaned up all the resin parts except the valve handles which will be quite tricky to get off the backing.
philp

Post by philp »

John,
First up, where did you get the watch parts from? I did a 28mm+ figure of a robot which I named Gearloose and want some stuff to decorate the base.

Next up, silly idea for display. if you have the fish out of the water (pier, drydock, etc). How about a little crane holding the face piece up and a couple workmen around doing some much needed maintenance?
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

philp wrote:John,
First up, where did you get the watch parts from? I did a 28mm+ figure of a robot which I named Gearloose and want some stuff to decorate the base.

Next up, silly idea for display. if you have the fish out of the water (pier, drydock, etc). How about a little crane holding the face piece up and a couple workmen around doing some much needed maintenance?
We got them off evil-Bay, search on steampunk or watch parts ...
Yes, that's an option ...
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

jRatz wrote: The fit isn't perfect and I need to make some kind of seal to cover the "leaks" around the edge, but at least I can start painting and detailing the interior.
That's a good looking piece of resin John and it's bringing out your Inner Modeller! ;-)
The seal has to be black 'bike tubing.

Regards,
Bruce
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

MerlinJones wrote:The seal has to be black 'bike tubing.
Don't have a handy source of that (no LHS) but I'll poke around for an equivalent, maybe in my R/C tool/scrap-box ....

I am also going to look for a small LED. It strikes me that I could mount this thing from one side. Then I could drill a small hole in near the top on that side and install an LED to light the interior. I had discarded the idea when it appeared I might have to try and drill from the bottom ....

BTW, just because some people started 2 days early, we're not trimming 2 days off the end are we ? It strikes me that I need to get moving ...
montessa315

Post by montessa315 »

jRatz wrote: Don't have a handy source of that (no LHS) but I'll poke around for an equivalent, maybe in my R/C tool/scrap-box ....
Another possibility could be wire heat shrink tubing....

Alan...............

Post by MerlinJones »

jRatz wrote:BTW, just because some people started 2 days early, we're not trimming 2 days off the end are we ? It strikes me that I need to get moving ...
I take it you're travelling close to C?
Time apparently drags for you, whilst whizzing along for the rest of us? :-D
Our models will all be old and dusty, wheras yours will be fresh off the bench! :shock:

Regards,
Bruce

(No...2 days will NOT be trimmed off the deadline, unless you're a Smethwick ;-) )
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

montessa315 wrote:
jRatz wrote: Don't have a handy source of that (no LHS) but I'll poke around for an equivalent, maybe in my R/C tool/scrap-box ....
Another possibility could be wire heat shrink tubing....

Alan...............
While giving Bruce credit for the "rubber tire" idea, the winner is .... drum roll .... Alan and heat shrink tubing ... geat minds think alike and all that. I had some in my RC toolbox, but of too large a diameter so I spent a little time in my local Radio Shack and came back with ....

Notice there is already a "pipe" running along the bottom of the head to the "jaw" up front. I could place the "seal" such that it looks like "pipe" running over the top to the other side. I am wondering if a "rubber seal" like that might not be an anachronism ....

However, all this leads to another thought -- I will side mount the fish such that the view of the fish will be that of the above picture. The picture below will be the other or "mount" side and the heat-shrink "pipe" can contain the wires to the LED in the cockpit, also found on my Radio Shack trip.

In the variety pack I got there was only red, yellow, green in tha small bulb. Right now I opt for yellow but may go back up and look for a small white LED. Using this approach the LED wiring will not be very obvious from a partial top view. Now it is probable the small diameter heat-shrink I am showing here is too small to get wiring into, so I am going to test heat-shrinking the next larger size over wires and see how it comes out. I also have to test heat-shrink with CA and paints to be sure it doesn't do something less than useful ....

The side mount offers the option of having the fish "swimming" past a pier, coral reef, etc ....

I do need to get some real work done on this .... or it will be like my spin-a-prop Wellie with working Leigh Light .... Anyway I am going to start drilling for the mount, the LED, and the wires, very carefully ....

BTW, speaking of S-a-P, I briefly thought about a moving prop and flapping fins .... but didn't feel like hollowing it out ...

Return to “Sci-Fi GB”