Springy's A-34 MK-1 Comet **Finished**

Enough said -- a GB celebrating Matchbox kits, to include "pure" re-pops. Join the fun!!
The GB runs 1st February to 4th March and your host is FredK.
Springy67
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Springy's A-34 MK-1 Comet **Finished**

Post by Springy67 »

Hey All

I shall be building the A-34 Mk-1 Comet. First off, a big thank you to John who provided the kit - it is in absolutely mint condition and the box looked like it had just been taken off the shelf in the LMS, there is no scuffing or marks. I'm not sure I could give up any of my stash as readily as John has done. I hope I can do the kit justice!

Here are the obligatory pictures:

For both options, the instructions would have you paint it in overall deep bronze green with patches of dark earth. From a quick look, I haven't found pictures of this camouflage pattern being used and the box art doesn't show the tank bearing that camouflage so I will probably just go for bronze green all over.

I hope that, by keeping the camo simple, I will be able to upgrade the tree on the diorama base to something a bit more substantial and leafy than the battered stick MB provide.

Hope to get started in next day or so.

Cheers
Springy
fredk
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Springy's A-34 MK-1 Comet

Post by fredk »

Hope to get started in next day or so.
Don't start till the date rolls over to the 1st of Feb
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
fredk

Post by fredk »

Hows this coming along?
Have you had a chance to get started on it yet?
5 days gone already
Springy67

Post by Springy67 »

Hey fredk

I thought this would be a quick build, being mainly one colour. What I didn't account for was the sheer crapness of the tin of Humbrol bronze green I bought for the purpose. Despite being as thick as bathroom sealant, it took four coats to get a reasonable coverage on the wheels. Admittedly, the wheels were moulded brown which is a notoriously difficult colour to paint green over. :roll:

I will be painting the tyres in the next day or so and can begin the construction process. I will post up some progress pictures then. Unless, of course, anyone really desperately wants to see some pictures of some green-painted wheels. :-D

Cheers
Springy
chrism

Post by chrism »

I am not trying to preach...but you did wash the plastic?

I too have one of these on the go in this GB, and the one I am building came kindly from John. As for paint, I am using Revell 65 in an acrylic pot, which has gone on (so far) very well. Two thin coats has covered everything ...
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

Ive just noticed Matchbox do quite alot of Tank dioramas!
I feel quiet silly having just commented on Craigs build about it being nice to see a diorama!
Springy67

Post by Springy67 »

Hey Chris

It's not that. It's definitely something with the paint. I previously bought a tin of light grey (28 I think) from the same shop which had the same problem. It was really thick and gloopy but when painted on was quite translucent. It brushes on okay (no brush marks) but needs a few coats. I thought the grey was just a rogue tin but it seems the shop may have a duff batch or stored them incorrectly.

Cheers
Springy
fredk

Post by fredk »

There have been some problems with some of the Humbrol enamels like you say.
I have a few like that. Mine are mostly the RLM colours but others also. It can be fairly random which tins are bad.
With those I use the enamel as an undercoat and use the acrylic as top coat [if there is an acrylic the same colour]
I think the newest batch of paints have that problem sorted but you just don't know if you're buying a bad or a good un
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

fredk wrote:There have been some problems with some of the Humbrol enamels like you say.
I have a few like that. Mine are mostly the RLM colours but others also. It can be fairly random which tins are bad.
With those I use the enamel as an undercoat and use the acrylic as top coat [if there is an acrylic the same colour]
I think the newest batch of paints have that problem sorted but you just don't know if you're buying a bad or a good un
I bought all of the RLM colours and the ones I have used are very thin, almost pushing away from the brush!!. I might replace the ones I use and see if it has been sorted as you say.
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
fredk

Post by fredk »

Not meaning to hi-jack the thread; look for Humbrol tins with a paper label on the lid - they seem to be the very newest and are better
Springy67

Post by Springy67 »

I know that, as you've been watching the other builds in this GB, there's been a nagging thought in the back of your mind. What's happening with Springy's Comet? Well, worry no more, for here is the latest update. Unfortunately, as well as crappy paint, life got in the way and progress has been, well, glacial. It's shameful when I look at the progress others have made (I'm looking at you, chrism, with your multiple armour builds) but there you go.

Anyway, the wheels have all been painted up and fixed to the lower hull. Then it was all weathered up.

I have also assembled the upper hull and turret and given them about four coats of Humbrol 75 Bronze Green. The tracks have also been painted and weathered. Unfortunately, due to their age, the tracks were brittle and one separated. I have stapled it back together and hope to cover the join behind the mudguards.

The tracks need some dry brushing with metallic paint to bring out the worn treads, then they should be good to go. Once the tracks are on, the upper hull can be fitted in place, the whole thing muddied up and, touch wood, it should be plain sailing to the finish. :shock:

I have also given the base a couple of undercoats of brown and also the tree with which I will be replacing the stick included in the kit. They both need detailing, the tree will have foliage added and I will add some grass to the base.

Hope to get some more pictures up tomorrow.

Cheers
Springy
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Yes, we were all worried about.. umm, err, (checks name on post), oh yes Springy!! :ha: :ha: . Looking very nice too, like the wheel work!. :grin:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
fredk

Post by fredk »

This is coming on smartish now
Like what you're doing with that tree
chrism

Post by chrism »

I've had a few days off this GB, so I gave you all time to catch up...

I like what you've done with your wheels, mucking them up this early in the build. I shall be watching what you do with the tree. I have plans for improving the plastic item on mine too, but I am not going to be that adventurous

I had to get a bit creative with sewing thread and UHU on the tracks of quite a few of mine as they were fragile at the join points.
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

I like what you have done with the wheels.

Just a thought, would a tree have any foliage left on it, being so close to a shell hole?

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.

Return to “Classic Matchbox Kits”