James' Matchbox 1/32 Surtees TS16/03 **DNF**

Enough said -- a GB celebrating Matchbox kits, to include "pure" re-pops. Join the fun!!
The GB runs 1st February to 4th March and your host is FredK.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

James' Matchbox 1/32 Surtees TS16/03 **DNF**

Post by JamesPerrin »

I'll be making a start on this build for CBK SIGs Telford display.

Eagle eyed viewers will notice that the cockpit tub is missing, yet another victim of the collapsing pile of boxes that Collectakit take round shows. I wouldn't mind but I did "check" the contents before purchasing. At least the wheels aren't all missing like my BR Mogul from the source ( that I also "checked" :oops: )

Note the tweezers included to place the wheel nuts!
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
chrism
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: James' Matchbox 1/32 Surtees TS16/03

Post by chrism »

Collectakit are not the worst ... I too have bought off them and briefly checked at a show, only to get home and discover a bit of creativity will later be needed for some bits.. The most annoying fact, is to then learn that Collectakit gave kit of the same subject away to a certain SIG.. I do hope the said kit given away was devoid of the same small parts ...

BTW - racing car looks to be a great subject, and different, for table in November
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

That's different. I didn't know Mbox did racing cars.

David
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

They did 4 track cars including this one, a Tyrell 6 wheeller, Porsche 917 and Porsche 935.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Looks nice despite the missing part. I really like the Matchbox car kits 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Made a start by just gluing some sub assemblies together and cleaning up parts. The engine is very detailed but requires a little patience to get it all lined up. I've left the gearbox separate until after painting. The vinyl tires have been sanded to remove the shine from the tread, a fine polishing sponge was used on the walls to tone down the moulded gloss finish. The air scoop had a guide pin just inside the opening and so I removed it.

The figure is very nice and I plan to have a go at taking a mould from him as I have a couple of other projects that he would suit. He's a blessing as he will cover up the lack of detail in the yet to be scratchbuilt cockpit, not that the original part appears to more than a box,

Time to start gathering painting references as I won't be able to get much further without painting everything before assembly.

The chromed sprue as gone for a lemony bleach bath overnight.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

FYI, Scale Models Sept. 1975 had one of John Taylor's excellent F1 articles about the TS16. I don't have that issue, but perhaps someone here does.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
TimJ

Post by TimJ »

Nice choice James, I remember building this when it first came out.
2020 A:35 B:18. 2021 A: 51 B:25 C:21 2022 A:63 B:23 C:11 2024 A:9 B:4 C:15
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Reading the details on the box and instructions say the scheme on the kit are for the Silverstone International Trophy 6/7th April 1974
Literally every photo shows the car in different setups. At some point during 1974 the nose changed from black to red, and the nose intake also disappeared and most pics are from F1 races. However some useful references are:

http://www.racingsportscars.com/chassis ... html?cat=2;

Which shows photo is this specific chassis including the specified race meeting. Note though the car is shown with Firestone sponsors and tires rather than the Goodyears provided - might have been a licensing issue.

Additional details are the nose endplates, not provided but shown in the paint diagram. The other significant missing detail are the front brake cooling ducts, which can be seen in the box art.

http://www.svetformule.cz/clanek/1423-P ... ladi-vpred;
Some nice photos of the TS16's during the 1974 F1 season.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

I spent some time working on the body but I'll describe that once it's complete. Meanwhile I've been cleaning up all the mechanicals, those to be honest MB's moulds are superb and there is very little in the way of seam lines of most of the parts. This was obviously a labour of love for MB as there are some lovely details and thought for design, eg the blanks of flutes on the top of the engine are moulded at a slight angle so a small depression in the top can be created.

The chrome sprue was successfully stripped, revealing proper black plastic, it has been however covered in some sort of clear lacquer to give it a high gloss base for the chrome. I'm going to leave it be, though all the metal parts will get a coat of Alclad Gloss Black primer anyway.

I've left as many bits as possible attached to bits of sprue to aid handling during painting. I draw your attention to the rear suspension at the bottom of the picture. I'd forgotten to mention that one of the shocks had also gone missing. Nothing to do but bite the bullet and scratch a new one from assorted tube and wire. A pin-vice is very good for holding these sorts of parts while working on them but sometimes you need something to hold the vice so you have got two hands free.

and all done

The parts are all now ready for paint, though at the moment I only know what shades about half of the parts will be.

I'm finding that having a full set of written painting notes is very good at keeping the build going and stops you opening the same jar of paint for the nth time! A bit more scanning google images and youtube is required:

splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Brilliant use of a pin vice & vice, I have both of those tools but would never have thought of using them like that.

Cheers for sharing that tip.

The new shock absorber looks brilliant are you going to make a second one?

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
fredk

Post by fredk »

Most excellent job on that shock

Any more progress to share with us?
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

I thought it pointless posting a picture of black plastic, primered with gloss black, so here's a picture of everything all kinds of shiny! Alclads and Vallejo Metal Color

This evening I spent an hour and a half not getting far, as despite wanting to stick things together there were still some details that needed painting. I've also learnt I really need to use gloves when handing metallic painted parts. I got this far with the engine. Things are a tight fit but with vague or downright tiny attachment points. Care was needed to keep things square. After 20mins I gave up trying to get a single exhaust glued to the engine block. Note, too small to airbrush (at least with my Iwata CR) I painted Citadel inks onto the exhausts as heat marks

Some touch ups will be necessary.
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

This is looking terrific - detail and painting are great.

David
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

This is interesting James and makes a change to all the aircraft and what have you. Although I've watched F1 off and on over the years, I've never built a model of a racing car. Great work with that scratched up shock unit.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300

Return to “Classic Matchbox Kits”