Lone Modeller's Tray

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
Lone Modeller
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Lone Modeller's Tray

Post by Lone Modeller »

JamesPerrin wrote: December 15th, 2023, 9:27 pm Having built the similarly laid out Boxkite. I can appreciate what you’ve got ahead of you. Though mine was from a kit and in 1/48 scale. Cap well and truely doffed!
Thanks for the very kind comment. I have already scratch built a Farman Longhorn:

https://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19& ... rn#p439391

and on this thread a Grahaeme-White Charabanc. Both are similar to the S38 so I will be using the same construction sequences and methods. They may look difficult but if the modeller is prepared to take a little time and care they are quite achievable.
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

That sounds a fantastic project LM - looking forward to seeing this one come together.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Impisi

Post by Impisi »

it is always a pleasure to come here. What you do here is always inspiring. thanks for that
Cheers
Martin

my recent builds
Bissyboat

Post by Bissyboat »

I´m intrigued. This is very interesting, indeed.
"We're going to need a bigger boat"
MoMil
Active Participant

Post by MoMil »

Yet more masterclasses, great work LM
Cheers, Neale.

Close enough for government work
B4en

Post by B4en »

This S38 looks a great project! My brother did a 1/48 Boxkite when I was little - I wonder if that's the same kit James Perrin made?
The past, present, and future walked into a bar. It was tense.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

B4en wrote: January 11th, 2024, 7:15 am This S38 looks a great project! My brother did a 1/48 Boxkite when I was little - I wonder if that's the same kit James Perrin made?
I would assume so as I don't believe there is another in 1/48. It's been reboxed by Pyro, Life-Like and Lindberg since the original Pyro release.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
B4en

Post by B4en »

JamesPerrin wrote: January 11th, 2024, 11:51 am
B4en wrote: January 11th, 2024, 7:15 am This S38 looks a great project! My brother did a 1/48 Boxkite when I was little - I wonder if that's the same kit James Perrin made?
I would assume so as I don't believe there is another in 1/48. It's been reboxed by Pyro, Life-Like and Lindberg since the original Pyro release.
Thanks James. 1/48 is not my happy scale but I'll keep an eye out just in case.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

This will probably be quite a challenging build, LM, but if anybody is modeller enough to produce that S-38 it's you. Taking off in that stringbag from what looks to be a load of scaffolding hastily attached to the back of a battleship would probably give me a stress induced heart attack - I get nervous enough in a modern airliner :ha:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Lone Modeller

Post by Lone Modeller »

Evening All,

Many thanks for following along gentlemen.

Shaun: as far as I am concerned, anyone who had the nerve to attempt a take off from the sharp end of a battleship in a wood, wire and linen machine with a rather unreliable rotary engine has my deepest respect. I would be very content to watch from the side.......or make a model of it!!

I have been working on this while working on the GB dio. Now that the latter is finished, (well almost - as I will explain later, I have decided to make two new Bleriot XXIII's because I have finally sorted out the wing problem), I will focus on this subject.

Having made most of the major parts I painted them: CDL for the flying surfaces, and Revell semi-matt 382 tan for the struts:

The engine was mounted on a block on the trailing edge of the lower wing: I made a mounting from plastic card and inserted a piece of rod to represent the shaft which connected the fuel and oil tanks to the engine. The fuel/oil tanks were cut from 60 thou rod and mounted on a frame made from plastic strip. There was a passenger seat in front of the fuel/oil tanks - that was cut from 20 thou card and after all had been painted, the sub-assemblies were fixed to the lower wing:

NB the pilot's seat and frame are only placed on the model - they will be attached permanently later.

All was now ready to attach the upper wing. I followed my usual procedure for making the process easy: select 4 wing struts and the two rear boom struts. Place drops of cement into the holes on the ends of the lower wing and place the struts into the holes. While the cement is still soft put small drops of cement into the relevant holes in the upper wing and gently place the lower wing and struts into the 4 holes in the inverted upper wing. I had paint pots handy to keep the wing edges square and supported while I put super glue on to one corner of the rear of the booms. I inserted one of the rear struts, followed by the second, and I had a square structure. I set this aside and allowed the cement to set:

When the cement had set I had a rigid structure which can be handled so that the remaining struts can be fixed at leisure:

The next step will be to add the interplane and boom struts and then the undercarriage.

Thanks for looking.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

We can see you are a pro as you are using square paint pots to keep everything erm square.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Excellent work as always LM!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
B4en

Post by B4en »

Crazy fine scratch building LM. Love it!
This may even inspire me to dig out my unfinished Gunbus from a decade ago. :oops:
wokka

Post by wokka »

Not only are you a Master Modeller but a Master Jig builder
It's only pain, work through it.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Progressing very nicely, LM and I like the use of the Revell modelling jig. Warms my Yorkshireman's heart to see money saved over some fancy bought jig no end that does.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300

Return to “Workbench Window”