Airfix Avro Vulcan B.2 1/72 New Tool (A12011)

First impressions do count. Let us know what you think of your kits - new and old.
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Airfix Avro Vulcan B.2 1/72 New Tool (A12011)

Post by iggie »

Well, finally the wait is over! Despite being announced way back in November 2019 and an arrival date quoted as Summer 2020 the long awaited new-tool Airfix Vulcan has at last landed on doormats around the country. I'll not go into the whys and wherefores of this late arrival, but suffice to say that it continues what seems to me to be a (now) longish tradition of Airfix over-promising and under-achieving where new releases are concerned.

Anyway, onto the kit. The box is the usual red themed sturdy top opening lid & tray affair that recent larger Airfix kits have arrived in, and is hopefully the same size as the other V-bomber kit boxes for ease of storage. The box is sturdy, and will stand up to shelf stacking well which is good as it's going to be a while before I tackle it! The box art is nice and glossy but as has been commented upon elsewhere on this forum, perhaps not the most striking or inspiring portrayal of the mighty Vulcan.

Inside we have the usual instruction booklet in the three-colour format, giving what looks to be very clear detail on assembly order, part options and variant choices. A couple of nice touches are immediately apparent: there are templates provided for creating your own masks for the intake interior/exterior colour demarcation and also there are guides included in the parts to ensure the jet pipes are positioned to give the correct 'exhaust' spread. There are also two A3 glossy sheets, one illustrating the two schemes provided in the kit and the other giving instructions for the placement of the largish number of stencil decals provided.

The decal sheet provided is printed by Cartograph of Italy, and looks to be up to their usual high standard. Decals are provided for two schemes, representing XM594 of the Scampton Wing (carrying the Blue Steel weapon) or XM602 of 617 Squadron which is intended to be armed with 1000lb free-fall bombs carried on three bomb carriers within the nicely detailed bomb bay.

The parts are contained within seven sets of sprues, including one small fret for the Blue Steel option and one fret that appears to have had a small sprue taken off prior to packaging; possibly alternative parts for a later release, although I can't think what they might be...
The moulding looks good, details appear finely engraved or raised as appropriate and although there will undoubtedly be debates raging for months about the depth of the engraving it seems about right to me; not excessive but sufficient to take a panel line wash if that's your choice.
You have the usual options with regard to undercarriage (up or down), the crew access door can be posed open with the integral ladder if desired, control surfaces can be posed in a variety of positions (check reference photos for in-flight positions), and the bomb-bay doors are provided as alternate parts for open/closed. There is a nice bit of cockpit detail, but as always with the Vulcan perhaps this is wasted due to the lack of visibility once the fuselage is closed up...Still, we'll all know it's there so crack on! There is a little surgery to perform if you wish to mount the Blue Steel missile, and alternate parts to accommodate this. The air-brakes can be open or closed; if open the struts could do with drilling out to represent lightening holes but again check references as I have seen photos of both solid & 'holed' struts for the upper brakes. A little detailing inside the resulting wing openings will also help immensely as none is apparent as moulded.

There is one (very) small fret of clear parts. Not much else can be said of them, except that they are clear where needed ;-)

As always, no one will keep all the people happy all of the time so there will be discussions about some details (or the absence of) and accuracy as there seems to be about every kit these days but overall I would say a kit that has been worth the wait and that will make a lot of people happy.

Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
SJPONeill

Re: Airfix Avro Vulcan B.2 1/72 New Tool (A12011)

Post by SJPONeill »

Thanks, Jim

Good write up. I hadn't been too interested til now as the Blue Steel doesn't float my boat but now I know it comes with a conventional payload I am sorely tempted...am a little surpised that Airfix didn't go one tiny bit further and include the Black Buck wing pylons but I'm surely some enterprising AM types are hooking into that already...

Simon
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
Early Bird Fan

Post by Early Bird Fan »

that looks a very nicely detailed kit, not enough wings for me though :ha:
Current Builds:
Revell 1/48 S.e.5a
Revell 1/72 P-47 'bolt
Frog 1/72 Bleriot X1
iggie

Post by iggie »

SJPONeill wrote: June 30th, 2021, 12:22 pm Thanks, Jim

Good write up. I hadn't been too interested til now as the Blue Steel doesn't float my boat but now I know it comes with a conventional payload I am sorely tempted...am a little surpised that Airfix didn't go one tiny bit further and include the Black Buck wing pylons but I'm surely some enterprising AM types are hooking into that already...

Simon
I wonder if the removed little sprue might contain those very parts... 🤔 After all, next year will be the 40th anniversary of the Falklands conflict so could be a good way to sell another boxing?
I'll go and have a look inside the wings to see if there's any drilling marks ;-)
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
chrism

Post by chrism »

Does in need any weight in it ?
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
iggie

Post by iggie »

chrism wrote: June 30th, 2021, 12:55 pm Does in need any weight in it ?
It does, 40 grams according to the instructions ;-)
Best wishes

Jim
iggie

Post by iggie »

There are three internal marks on the lower wing parts, but two of them coincide with external features and the third could well be a location point for the internal wing framework...

Best wishes

Jim
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

Having looked at the box artwork, I notice that the elevons are positioned in an impossible position! It is not possible for the inboard elevons to be ‘up’, whilst the outboard elevons are ‘down’ - it is mechanically impossible with the control column and PFCUs and illogical aerodynamically. If I was doing a control check and the cockpit indicators suggested that as a configuration, I would have climbed out!!

What I am saying is PLEASE, PLEASE check logical control surface positions and REMEMBER - the Vulcan does not have flaps, I SAY AGAIN THE VULCAN DOES NOT HAVE FLAPS! There, I’ve said it, so if anyone displays a model on here with the ‘flaps down’ you will receive a sound beating!
Tony

The older I get the better I was!
Current build:
Airfix 1:72 Javelin FAW9
Particular modelling interests:
Cuban Airforce aircraft, 29(F) Sqn aircraft, Aircraft I’ve flown
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

I'm sure a Black Buck boxing will appear in due course.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Black Buck is indeed a no brainer. The Vulcan was also used as a Tanker and Maritime Reconnaissance so those could be possible. Newark Vulcan (and possibly others) was also fitted out for carrying Skybolt missiles too.

All the best

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
iggie

Post by iggie »

TeeELL wrote: June 30th, 2021, 2:34 pm Having looked at the box artwork, I notice that the elevons are positioned in an impossible position! It is not possible for the inboard elevons to be ‘up’, whilst the outboard elevons are ‘down’ - it is mechanically impossible with the control column and PFCUs and illogical aerodynamically. If I was doing a control check and the cockpit indicators suggested that as a configuration, I would have climbed out!!

What I am saying is PLEASE, PLEASE check logical control surface positions and REMEMBER - the Vulcan does not have flaps, I SAY AGAIN THE VULCAN DOES NOT HAVE FLAPS! There, I’ve said it, so if anyone displays a model on here with the ‘flaps down’ you will receive a sound beating!
Precisely why I suggested checking references before placing the control surfaces in any position other than neutral! :-D Thanks for the expert input Tony Image
Best wishes

Jim
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Thanks for the review, Jim! Looks very nice indeed. I'll have to get one, if only to complete the trio of big V-Bomber boxes in my stash.....
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
Kitaholic

Post by Kitaholic »

Great review Jim, been waiting a while to get one of these but the price keeps putting me back. Is it my eyes (getting old) or is the detail as soft as it looks?
Regards

Gord

Desperately trying to find his MOJO, don't know where I left it
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Looks great on the sprues, Jim and it's good to see that Airfix has provided for Blue Steel or a load of conventional bombs, plus stuff like the optional position air brakes and control surfaces. If the fit does not live up to expectations then I suppose the option is there to chop the nose section off, make a display stand and finish XM602 in her current configuration!

Great review of this much anticipated kit and thanks for taking the time.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
iggie

Post by iggie »

Kitaholic wrote: June 30th, 2021, 4:42 pm Great review Jim, been waiting a while to get one of these but the price keeps putting me back. Is it my eyes (getting old) or is the detail as soft as it looks?
<<diplomatic mode on>> that's an interesting question; it's not soft but it isn't razor sharp either...
Best wishes

Jim

Return to “In-Box reviews”