Airfix Avro Vulcan B.2 1/72 New Tool (A12011)

First impressions do count. Let us know what you think of your kits - new and old.
Kitaholic
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Airfix Avro Vulcan B.2 1/72 New Tool (A12011)

Post by Kitaholic »

iggie wrote: June 30th, 2021, 5:57 pm
Kitaholic wrote: June 30th, 2021, 4:42 pm Great review Jim, been waiting a while to get one of these but the price keeps putting me back. Is it my eyes (getting old) or is the detail as soft as it looks?
<<diplomatic mode on>> that's an interesting question; it's not soft but it isn't razor sharp either...
Good answer Jim :lol: Can think of a few "people" who are well practiced now at that kind of answer :ha:
Regards

Gord

Desperately trying to find his MOJO, don't know where I left it
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Gregers wrote: June 30th, 2021, 3:00 pm Black Buck is indeed a no brainer. The Vulcan was also used as a Tanker and Maritime Reconnaissance so those could be possible. Newark Vulcan (and possibly others) was also fitted out for carrying Skybolt missiles too.

All the best

Greg
From memory, all the later B.2s had the Skybolt mods and it was these that the Black Bucks used to fit the external wing pylons for Shrike and ESM pods...

Although, the AM folk will not doubt be measuring up already, I think it'd be nice if Airfix released it's own conversions a la the set it released for the Valiant.
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Jim, thank for your effort on this.

Simon, two thoughts. First they’d have to plan futther ahead, thus delaying release. Second, if they don’t we end up with the AFV CLUB LCT-6 and someone ssking why the orig kit and the upgrade couldn’t be better planned, sync’d, etc.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
chrism

Post by chrism »

Yesterday you had me all excited thinking there was going to be shapes for the camo masks to use for the cutter .... now I see (on p14) what it is you refer too
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
Tarkas
Active Participant

Post by Tarkas »

Anybody have any opinions as to how it compares with the previous kit? I have one of those in my stash, along with a Black Buck conversion kit and appropriate decals, so I'm wondering if it would be worth getting the new one.
Ping! Ping!! Ping!!! -- Mother Box
She's such a chatterbox, sometimes...
iggie

Post by iggie »

My immediate thoughts were that whilst the new kit looks really good, the old one still has merit and with appropriate after market assistance (intakes for certain and corrected jet pipes depending on the aircraft being modelled) and some scratch building for things like air-brakes (which are included in the new kit) to add interest then it can be built into a comparable model. The real difference is that the old kit has raised detail, the new has engraved. Under paint, I'm not certain that the difference would be that obvious...
So although I have the new kit (actually two now due to an oversight on my part when pre-ordering!) I'm keeping hold of the two old tool kits with a view to building them one day as well as I have resin bits for one anyway 😁
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
VMA131Marine
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by VMA131Marine »

I noted from my kit that it appears to contain both the Olympus 201 and 301 jet exhausts. Only the 301s are used for the marking options in the box so a future release using the 201s must be in the works. XH558 has the 200 series exhausts.
WIP Hasegawa 1/72 Yak-3, Hasegawa 1/72 Polikarpov I-16 Type 24, Hasegawa 1/72 J2M3 Raiden, Hasegawa 1/72 Mosquito NF.2, Airfix 1/48 Mosquito NF.30
Last kit completed: Hasegawa 1/72 Yakovlev Yak-3
VMA131Marine
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by VMA131Marine »

Tarkas wrote: July 6th, 2021, 11:51 am Anybody have any opinions as to how it compares with the previous kit? I have one of those in my stash, along with a Black Buck conversion kit and appropriate decals, so I'm wondering if it would be worth getting the new one.
My opinion is that this new kit is superior in every possible way to the old one. I always thought the detail on the old kit was somewhat “soft” and elements like the jet pipes were poorly done. You can certainly improve the old kit with all the Wolfpack resin upgrades, but you will spend more on them than the new tooling and I’m not sure the result will be as good.
WIP Hasegawa 1/72 Yak-3, Hasegawa 1/72 Polikarpov I-16 Type 24, Hasegawa 1/72 J2M3 Raiden, Hasegawa 1/72 Mosquito NF.2, Airfix 1/48 Mosquito NF.30
Last kit completed: Hasegawa 1/72 Yakovlev Yak-3
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

That's a lot of plastic. Have already booked this in for my birthday. :lol: :lol: :lol:
So many models, so little time.
chrism

Post by chrism »

Phil Flory is sharing his build freely on YouTube etc. He has needed filler and a bit of effort to get together. ... Worth a glance at.
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
iggie

Post by iggie »

iggie wrote: June 30th, 2021, 12:47 pm
SJPONeill wrote: June 30th, 2021, 12:22 pm Thanks, Jim

Good write up. I hadn't been too interested til now as the Blue Steel doesn't float my boat but now I know it comes with a conventional payload I am sorely tempted...am a little surpised that Airfix didn't go one tiny bit further and include the Black Buck wing pylons but I'm surely some enterprising AM types are hooking into that already...

Simon
I wonder if the removed little sprue might contain those very parts... 🤔 After all, next year will be the 40th anniversary of the Falklands conflict so could be a good way to sell another boxing?
I'll go and have a look inside the wings to see if there's any drilling marks ;-)
The newly released 'Black Buck' boxing of the Vulcan has been released, and the 'missing sprue' is now included, as we suspected :grin:

Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

Since the original posting, I have discovered that I have flown the Vulcan at Newark, it was a 44(Rhodesia) Sqn aircraft. As for the ‘new tool’ I shall not bother, I worked the old tool into a representation of the very last Vulcan I ever flew - before escaping, phew.
As for ‘all the later B2’s having ‘Skybolt mountings’ - that I do not remember.
Tony

The older I get the better I was!
Current build:
Airfix 1:72 Javelin FAW9
Particular modelling interests:
Cuban Airforce aircraft, 29(F) Sqn aircraft, Aircraft I’ve flown

Return to “In-Box reviews”