Group Builds Going Forward

Here's where the general chat and organization of Group/Shared Builds takes place, with Guidelines, the GB/SB Calendar, and an Index to completed GBs.

Moderator: PaulBradley

PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Re: Group Builds Going Forward

Post by PaulBradley »

Let's have a few more ideas and I'll set up a poll.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by iggie »

fredk wrote: August 25th, 2023, 1:28 am Science Fiction & Fantasy; for those Space Yamatos, Star Trek and Star Wars things, D&D and Warhammer figures and equipment
Yep, I'd be up for that 👍
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
fredk

Post by fredk »

We haven't done 'Small Countries' for a while
Maybe re-visit it again, but only for ground forces, or maybe ground and sea forces only
I'm making this up as I type

or 'I saw it in a book'
Subjects that were only mentioned in books, and not the film/TV version of the same subject
This leaves the subject open to the builder's imagination. How they interpret the thing, not how a film studio did it or a kit manufacturer did
But books can include comic books such as Tin Tin, Asterix, the war comic booklets, but not that infamous anthology about James Bond which included a Spectrum Angel Interceptor on the cover as a Bond vehicle!
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
planecrazyman61

Post by planecrazyman61 »

Hi I’m still hoping we can get the Latin/South American GB on the list for next year there’s plenty of options F-5,mirages, Skyhawks,f-16’s A-37’s tocanno sSu-22 mig 29 su30k and more then there’s all the smaller nations who took over p-47’s p-51’s and corsairs possibly other types , not forgetting ground forces/military vehicles / non military as well if anyone else is interested stick a comment in the Latin/South American thread please
Cheers Craig
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

EMERGENCY!

Don't panic, just an idea for a GB.....

A GB for any vehicle operated by an emergency service - fire engines, ambulances, police cars, Coastguard vessels, fire boats, fire bombers, etc. Must be civilian, or quasi military such as the US Coastguard or the Italian Carabinieri for example. Any scale, any kit.
Paul

iggie

Post by iggie »

I'd be interested in this ^^^ 😀
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

:-D I had a feeling you might...!
Paul

iggie

Post by iggie »

PaulBradley wrote: August 25th, 2023, 4:09 pm :-D I had a feeling you might...!
Ah, but not with what you might think...😁
Best wishes

Jim
H-bomb
Is His Name Really Howard?

Post by H-bomb »

PaulBradley wrote: August 25th, 2023, 2:43 pm EMERGENCY!

Don't panic, just an idea for a GB.....

A GB for any vehicle operated by an emergency service - fire engines, ambulances, police cars, Coastguard vessels, fire boats, fire bombers, etc. Must be civilian, or quasi military such as the US Coastguard or the Italian Carabinieri for example. Any scale, any kit.
👍 yes,I have revell,s Arcona class rescue boat in the stash. I was looking for inspiration to get it done😎
Cheers Howard
acquired 1
Built 2
Disposed none

On the bench. Airfix Handley Page 0/400 , Escadron Hunting Percival Pembroke
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

PaulBradley wrote: August 13th, 2023, 2:24 pm One of the strong potentials already for next year is a weather/climate related GB - there are many cars that would fit that theme.
So too would aircraft, and too many would take the easy way out.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

PaulBradley wrote: August 13th, 2023, 2:31 pm
JohnRatzenberger wrote: August 13th, 2023, 2:22 am I know I've always argued for focus, but these anniversary GB's are just plane limiting. We need to open up to creativity.
One of the issues is that many of us are primarily aircraft modellers - that is just the way it is; you know that from IPMS. But many themed GBs in an historical context have plenty of scope for non-aircraft builders if a little creativity is applied. An Operation Dragoon GB - just to randomly pluck an idea that was recently suggested - could include aircraft, tanks, military vehicles, ships, figures, even cars - civilian vehicles operated by the Resistance, for example. Thinking about it, the Berlin Wall GB idea has even more scope. As you say, it just needs a little creativity.
But this approach keeps asking the non-/c builders to be the “creative” ones - the a/c types just haul out something suitable.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

We are, again going at this wrong. We talked about a desireable number and agreed that 9 plus 2 blitz’s was a good target. We made no limits on type or length other than that.

The BB software allows 12 poll options.
The 2 Blitz would not be included, they are fixed, so we are selecting the other 9 by number of votes.

Every proposed should have a statement of purpose - there are some good ones already.

If we have more than 12 proposals, then we have a more than one round of voting by dividing the list and working it down.
Andy Dighton

Post by Andy Dighton »

JohnRatzenberger wrote: August 25th, 2023, 9:40 pm
PaulBradley wrote: August 13th, 2023, 2:31 pm
JohnRatzenberger wrote: August 13th, 2023, 2:22 am I know I've always argued for focus, but these anniversary GB's are just plane limiting. We need to open up to creativity.
One of the issues is that many of us are primarily aircraft modellers - that is just the way it is; you know that from IPMS. But many themed GBs in an historical context have plenty of scope for non-aircraft builders if a little creativity is applied. An Operation Dragoon GB - just to randomly pluck an idea that was recently suggested - could include aircraft, tanks, military vehicles, ships, figures, even cars - civilian vehicles operated by the Resistance, for example. Thinking about it, the Berlin Wall GB idea has even more scope. As you say, it just needs a little creativity.
But this approach keeps asking the non-/c builders to be the “creative” ones - the a/c types just haul out something suitable.
I didn't realise that making model aircraft wasn't creative. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Best wishes
Andy

My post war RAF display team page. https://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=201&t=19491"
XX172 Life of a BAe Hawk 1977-2006. https://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=201&t=23975
planecrazyman61

Post by planecrazyman61 »

Had a few more adding their names to the Latin /South American GB so there is the required interest (8)+ a couple of maybe’s for this to to added to next years calender and could I politely request a time slot around April /May please
Cheers Craig
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

JohnRatzenberger wrote: August 25th, 2023, 9:33 pm
PaulBradley wrote: August 13th, 2023, 2:24 pm One of the strong potentials already for next year is a weather/climate related GB - there are many cars that would fit that theme.
So too would aircraft, and too many would take the easy way out.
But the fact there ARE many cars (and ships, and other means of transport) with weather/climate-related names DOES make this a GB that CAN appeal to many genres. It is up to the individual modeller to build what they want. The option IS there and it cannot be labelled as an aeroplane-only subject.
Paul

Return to “The Group/Shared Build Chat”