LTV A-7E Corsair II, HobbyBoss 1/72nd Scale

First impressions do count. Let us know what you think of your kits - new and old.
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

LTV A-7E Corsair II, HobbyBoss 1/72nd Scale

Post by Dazzled »

My latest bench resident and one destined for my Forrestal build.

HobbyBoss released their Corsair II range in 2007-2008 with an A-7A, A-7B, A-7D A-7E, A-7H, TA-7C, A-7P and A-7K included in the first run. The TA-7C was re-released by Doyusha in 2022 but all variants are still widely available on the second-hand market, usually for very reasonable prices.

What you get in the nicely decorated box is 188 parts; mostly medium grey plastic with 7 clear parts. The modeller shouldn't be too overawed by the parts count as a large number of parts are for the exterior stores, something that HB have definitely been very generous with.

The kit includes Sidewinders, fuel tanks, FLIR pods, MERs and more bombs than you're going to need unless you're feeling particularly silly.

For the most part, the sprues are individually wrapped, fitting snugly in the box and, despite this being a pre-owned kit there was absolutely no damage to my example. Nicely done HobbyBoss.

Surface detail is also excellent and the mouldings are crisp and completely flash-free. I couldn't say what the later, Doyusha release is like but these moulds should have had quite an easy life so it's certainly a kit I'd buy with confidence.

I'll let the following pictures illustrate the parts and detail level:

Yep, that's open equipment bays both sides. Not bad for an '07 kit in 1/72nd, I'd say.

HB offer 2 decal options with the kit, the box cover version from VA-122 based at NAS Leemore in 1976....

.....and an aircraft from VA-97 aboard USS Coral Sea in 1979.

The decals themselves are well-registered and very colourful with little carrier film. I really like the cockpit glazing seals; always a good thing to have as a decal.

They are, however, quite thick and mine had a strange residue on some of them. Difficult to photograph but you can just about see it on the lower black band of the yellow decal. The decals had been cut out of their sealed bag seconds before the picture was taken so I can only assume this is a manufacturing issue. I don't know if this would cause an issue with application and I'm not overly concerned as I don't intend to use the kit decals but it's something worth bearing in mind if you're considering buying this kit.

So, there you are; a nice-looking A-7E from HobbyBoss. Looks great in the box but only building it will tell whether it would be better off staying there. I've already started this kit and the build will be recorded in my WW thread and abbreviated in my Forrestal thread.

See you there 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Re: LTV A-7E Corsair II, HobbyBoss 1/72nd Scale

Post by Stuart »

Looks very nice indeed. There is, apparently, an issue with the shape of the nose but it looks ok to me - I do like HB kits and after seeing this I'm rather tempted to get a D model. Looking forward to seeing your build Darryl.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

I have the tiger meet one mostly built. It went together really well. The equipment bay doors will fit reasonably well in the closed position even though the kit is designed to have them open.
I may get the TA7 version to do as a Portuguese aircraft.

All the best

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by iggie »

That is a very tempting looking kit... thanks for the review Daryl 👍
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

That looks great. Hobbyboss are doing some great releases. Very easy to build.
So many models, so little time.

Return to “In-Box reviews”