Sword of Perseus!

From Apollo and Soyuz, to Gerry Anderson, Irwin Allen, Star Wars and Trek to Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica and those strange, doe-eyed Japanese school girls...to any model kits you can think of, that only exists in imagination.
LifetimeModeler
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Sword of Perseus!

Post by LifetimeModeler »

Since first seeing the 1981 "Clash of the Titans" film, I wanted a sword like the one the god's built for Perseus.
Only recently have hand made variants become available, with a price spread of between $6,000 and $12,000 usd, which pretty much guaranteed my exclusion. Then a couple years ago I was browsing a Canadian student's Etsy web store who made 3D printed stage props, and came upon the freaking "Sword of Perseus"!! I believe the "kit" was like $65, so it was ordered!

While waiting, I went to Hobby Lobby and got some gold decorative tape, jewel sequins, and one of the large Molotow Liquid Chrome pens, to dress it up with! About 2.5 weeks later it arrived in five sections; the handle & hand guard (in dark ABS), and blade in 3 pieces (light gray ABS). A hole ran through each section to house a wooden or plastic dowel, which bound it all together, however, the "blade" was about 5.5 inches too long, compared to photos of the real sword, so it was adjusted with my razor saw, then put together using Gorilla Super Glue Gel. Then to the task of putting a gold plate (tape) on the handle and guard, along with the respective sequins and trim (which I brush painted).

All in all, in makes an attractive wall display in my modeling room, so I'm happy!

Eat, drink, and be merry, but this very night your soul will be required of you.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: Sword of Perseus!

Post by JamesPerrin »

You've done a great job with the metallic tape for even for $65 I'd be disappointed at how inaccurate the blade is.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
LifetimeModeler

JamesPerrin wrote: May 30th, 2023, 3:19 pm ...I'd be disappointed at how inaccurate the blade is.
Thank you kindly!

Yes, it was disappointing, but thankfully it was a material that was easily altered. ;)

Eat, drink, and be merry, but this very night your soul will be required of you.
Clashcityrocker
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Nice. Did you have to add the engraving near the handle?

Nigel
LifetimeModeler

Clashcityrocker wrote: May 30th, 2023, 9:53 pm Nice. Did you have to add the engraving near the handle?

Nigel
Thank you Nigel. :)

Yes, I brush painted the engraving using Testors Silver, and sealed it with Pledge.
LifetimeModeler

LifetimeModeler wrote: May 31st, 2023, 4:05 am
Clashcityrocker wrote: May 30th, 2023, 9:53 pm Nice. Did you have to add the engraving near the handle?

Nigel
Thank you Nigel. :)

Yes, I brush painted the engraving using Testors Silver, and sealed it with Pledge.

general rocket
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by general rocket »

Interesting.
And I love the film.
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Interesting