SKGB Suggestions for 2024

Here's where the general chat and organization of Group/Shared Builds takes place, with Guidelines, the GB/SB Calendar, and an Index to completed GBs.

Moderator: PaulBradley

AndrewR
In the basement lab

SKGB Suggestions for 2024

Post by AndrewR »

This is a general discussion, so please share your thoughts

Do we want a single kit GB?
Do we want 1/72 scale or maybe 1/48 scale for a change?
Does it have to be an Airfix kit? (we are the UAMF!)
What complexity of kit is appropriate?

I would be happy to move up to 1/48 scale for the occasion, but would prefer a fairly simple kit (the new Sea King has 389 parts and is probably a bit much).

Personally, the Airfix Tiger Moth, Chipmunk or Mustang kits in 1/48 scale would be of interest. They all have plenty of variation for different colour schemes, and aftermarket decals are readily available.

Other suggestions welcome. :grin:
Up in the Great White North
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Re: SKGB Suggestions for 2024

Post by PaulBradley »

Yes, it would be nice to do another SKGB - the Hurricane seems quite popular, and I think the Blenheim will be equally so. Airfix would be good, as they are readily available to most forum members.

Does it have to be an aircraft? Perhaps one of the ship, cars or armour kits? Though not the Bond Bug as those only came in orange. Unless we could do WHIFs...?

Perhaps we could set up a poll, like last year.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

PaulBradley wrote: August 14th, 2023, 2:38 am Yes, it would be nice to do another SKGB - the Hurricane seems quite popular, and I think the Blenheim will be equally so. Airfix would be good, as they are readily available to most forum members.

Does it have to be an aircraft? Perhaps one of the ship, cars or armour kits? Though not the Bond Bug as those only came in orange. Unless we could do WHIFs...?

Perhaps we could set up a poll, like last year.
We should definitely have several polls to determine scale and subject.

A 1/43 E-Type Jaguar SKGB would certainly appeal to me. :grin:

One thing I would like us to keep in mind is that we should have subjects which can be finished differently- plenty of variety in colour/markings/nationality etc.
SJPONeill
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by SJPONeill »

As a long time DNFer but one who often buys the SKGB kit in question, I prefer the enduring connection to Airfix as that connects to my modelling roots. I think its 1/48 range is (currently) too limited for SKGB topics but I'm happy with vintage or new tool 1/72 aircraft - maybe 1/76 vehicles but I think that might discourage some newer members - I like the smaller 1/72 kits as they are affordable and more likely to encourage someone to have a go...

Hadn't thought about it til this thread but might be keen on one of the Classic Range ships as something a bit different - don't think i'd be confident enough to try one of the 1/32 cars...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

I assume the new Airfix 1/48 Wessex Sea King (oops, my mistake) will be available in the colonies by next year and may be popular enough to warrant it's own SKGB?!
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Sea King. I wish it were a Wessex!!
Paul

fredk

Post by fredk »

Could we go 'Single Type' ?
Next year, 110 years since Blackburn was founded, so a 'Single Type' of a Buccaneer ? Any make of model, any scale
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

beany wrote: August 14th, 2023, 4:22 pm I assume the new Airfix 1/48 Wessex will be available in the colonies by next year and may be popular enough to warrant it's own SKGB?!
It's got 389 parts, Al. Personally, it's too large a project for me to tackle especially in a group build. I think a Shared Build might be better for that.

The 1/72 version, I would be up for.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I realize we are UAMF and acknowledge the history, but it has always been one-way relationship, IMHO, and my "loyalty" to it is slipping.

I think SKGB are too limiting now and a kit must be chosen for a good reason after discussion. While usually they were Airfix, it need not be. I do not consider inclusion in the Vintage Classics range as a good reason on it's own. Discussion must take place so we pick the right ones; too many GB suggestions are followed quickly by clamoring for a slot - I believe Paul is trying to right that ship.

Scale is not a factor (except to the "constant scale" folks (more later) - I think it is really scale & size-of-model, probably followed by complexity. S/E 48th is not necessarily oversize, but a multi-engine aircraft can get big quickly for some, just as can a 1/72. Of course we have to judge what folks on here are doing now - a lot of airliners, etc are being waved around.

I think I would have to agree with FredK - that we should look harder at the single-type (STGB) -- really an SSGB -- which allows more modeller choice and thus more participation. I see folks queing up behind their favorite (Wessex or Sea King) in this thread alone, which really tends toward a SSGB for helicopters or something like that. I considered the 48th Sea King, but decided that 72nd was good enough (by size & complexity). A SSGB solves the "scale" problem for everyone.

What complexity of kit should be answered by discussion before hand and by voting. I think proposing a complex SKGB is OK to gage interest, but not mandating one.

Look back at the GB Guidelines to consider how to work within SKGB, SSGB, or AOGB, and it is not that difficult to formulate what the modellers want after discussion.

I believe the person who proposes a GB (of any type) should provide a written purpose/reason/goal for the GB as part of what voters consider.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Andy Dighton

Post by Andy Dighton »

Another thing to remember with SKGB is cost. I noticed that the 1/48 Wessex has been mentioned. How much will it cost when released? Keep in mind that the 1/48 Sea King has a RRP £54.95. That's beyond my budget.
Best wishes
Andy

My post war RAF display team page. https://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=201&t=19491"
XX172 Life of a BAe Hawk 1977-2006. https://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=201&t=23975
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Good point, I forgot to specifically weave that in, figuring size & complexity governed cost.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Where did this idea that Airfix are doing a 1/48 Wessex come from? They announced a 1/48 Sea King 2 weeks ago and that is it! There is no Wessex! :roll: :roll:
Paul

wokka

Post by wokka »

JohnRatzenberger wrote: August 14th, 2023, 6:20 pm I realize we are UAMF and acknowledge the history, but it has always been one-way relationship, IMHO, and my "loyalty" to it is slipping.

I think SKGB are too limiting now and a kit must be chosen for a good reason after discussion. While usually they were Airfix, it need not be. I do not consider inclusion in the Vintage Classics range as a good reason on it's own. Discussion must take place so we pick the right ones; too many GB suggestions are followed quickly by clamoring for a slot - I believe Paul is trying to right that ship.

Scale is not a factor (except to the "constant scale" folks (more later) - I think it is really scale & size-of-model, probably followed by complexity. S/E 48th is not necessarily oversize, but a multi-engine aircraft can get big quickly for some, just as can a 1/72. Of course we have to judge what folks on here are doing now - a lot of airliners, etc are being waved around.

I think I would have to agree with FredK - that we should look harder at the single-type (STGB) -- really an SSGB -- which allows more modeller choice and thus more participation. I see folks queing up behind their favorite (Wessex or Sea King) in this thread alone, which really tends toward a SSGB for helicopters or something like that. I considered the 48th Sea King, but decided that 72nd was good enough (by size & complexity). A SSGB solves the "scale" problem for everyone.

What complexity of kit should be answered by discussion before hand and by voting. I think proposing a complex SKGB is OK to gage interest, but not mandating one.

Look back at the GB Guidelines to consider how to work within SKGB, SSGB, or AOGB, and it is not that difficult to formulate what the modellers want after discussion.

I believe the person who proposes a GB (of any type) should provide a written purpose/reason/goal for the GB as part of what voters consider.
Well said.
It's only pain, work through it.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

PaulBradley wrote: August 14th, 2023, 8:20 pm Where did this idea that Airfix are doing a 1/48 Wessex come from? They announced a 1/48 Sea King 2 weeks ago and that is it! There is no Wessex! :roll: :roll:
Whatever you do, don't mention the 1/48 Wessex! :ha:

There are some good ideas developing in the discussion here. 👍
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

One other thing that might be helpful is to poll the membership for what are their interests and what they actually work on. From that we might be able to develop ideas for GB when we see common threads. Many of these may get no traffic here.

For example, I have been collecting Airfix 54mm 1815-ish soldier kits and more recently their 1/32 Multi-Pose figures and have an interest in getting started on some of them. Also, for years, I have a small collection (un built mostly) of 1/32 cars - mostly early 20th Century - Airfix. Matchbox, Europe Models, Pyro Vintage Brass. I have Airfix British Birds. I have a small number of Rosebud/Kitmaster/Airfix rail kits and rail scenery, all OO, only destined for static display. My ship interests are mostly 1/350 and resin but I have others although I deem most these as projects too big for a GB. My military is almost all 1/35 and many complex resin kits; if 1/76 it's all resin. The ship & military are probably outside the interest of UAMF other than as models and would be hard to form a GB around due complexity, cost, work, etc.

And don't forget card models !!

Return to “The Group/Shared Build Chat”