Tamiya PBR

If it goes on or under the wet stuff and doesn't fly, it's in here.
AlanW
Series 3 and Beyond

Tamiya PBR

Post by AlanW »

Here's my attempt at Tamiya's PBR from last year. It's a decent kit but as per usual I cannot resist not building straight OOB. There are dozens of internet images of PBRs in various states of repair and like all my models it does not represent a single boat but rather a hybrid taking it's cues from the many different images. Thanks again for looking.

Here's the hull and the deck straight out of the box. Compared to photos the first things I notice are the gunwales fore and aft are too thin, the rear inspection plates too low, the starboard locker incorrectly located, and the engine compartment should have a gap between its upper surface and the gunwale bottom edge. Having done that I did, of course, subsequently find the one photo that showed the gunwale and engine compartment seemingly moulded as one, but it was the only one.

Engine compartment and decks rebuilt from card. I did add some detail to the front cabin interior but it is virtually invisible once the kit is fully assembled.

Hatches and other detail added.

Same in primer with a few more scratch built additions. Just visible is the bulkhead and duckboards I added to the front cabin. The bulkhead is correct but a Vietnam veteran who served on PBRs has said there were no duckboards. My cue was a restored PBR but no big deal as they can’t be seen on the finished model.

Jet drives detailed and missing rivets and exhaust ports added.

First coat of green. I dread painting anything green. Firstly trying to find two colour photos of a PBR wearing the same colour is nigh on impossible and then attempting to match the preferred photo to a pot of paint escapes me. In the end I took a Vallejo blue and yellow, mixed them together and trusted to luck.

I wasn't unhappy with the initial sea of green result but the usual combination of burnt umber oil washes and smudging some yellow and white oil paints around got me closer to the goal line. The exhaust mufflers are scratch built. The exhaust covers Tamiya supply don't appear to be used in many photos and ranging in colour from shiny and new to weathered and rusty they gave the opportunity to break up the green.

Front guns. I nearly wobbled and bought aftermarket barrels but decided to stay with the kit's offerings.

Rear gun and some stowage.

Radar and light staff dressed up with some thin wire salvaged from a computer circuit board and thin nylon sewing thread. The cabin roof is a conundrum. Most representations lean towards a brown or buff finish as if obviously made from canvas. The finish Tamiya models the roof in seems to emulate canvas, too. I played around with a couple of different finishes but, as you see, went for a slightly faded green. Reading subsequently, the same Vietnam vet I mentioned before states the material was satin in finish and the same colour as the boat. It was most likely some rubberised or nylon-like waterproof cloth. One for next time.

Couple of general views.

Figure painting is not my strength but I used three of the kit crew members. Two of them are meant to be firing weapons but instead I substituted their helmets for Stetsons and their guns for cigarettes and a letter from home. Close up photography does me no favours but from a foot or two away they are fine.

AndrewR
In the basement lab

Re: Tamiya PBR

Post by AndrewR »

Very impressive, Alan 👍
Up in the Great White North
DavidWomby
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by DavidWomby »

Love this. Really impressed.

David
Andy Dighton

Post by Andy Dighton »

Very nice Alan.
Best wishes
Andy

My post war RAF display team page. https://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=201&t=19491"
XX172 Life of a BAe Hawk 1977-2006. https://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=201&t=23975
general rocket

Post by general rocket »

Nicely done
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
iggie

Post by iggie »

Excellent work Alan, very nicely done indeed. Putting the figures into 'off duty' mode really changes the whole atmosphere of the build 👍
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Davem
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Davem »

Jacuzzi water jet powered! colour matching equipment that's been baked by tropical conditions is a goose chase it looks really good.
flakmonkey

Post by flakmonkey »

Beautiful job. You've captured the care worn look perfectly.
Would ya like to learn to fly? Would ya? Would you like to see me try?
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I built one of these on here two or three years ago and really enjoyed the kit, especially as it was of a subject (boats/ships) that I don't normally cover. This is a really excellent job, very nicely weathered and with great looking figures.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
AlanW
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by AlanW »

Thanks everyone - very kind comments
AlanW
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by AlanW »

ShaunW wrote: October 1st, 2023, 3:56 pm I built one of these on here two or three years ago and really enjoyed the kit, especially as it was of a subject (boats/ships) that I don't normally cover. This is a really excellent job, very nicely weathered and with great looking figures.
Yes - your build was one of my inspirations!
Impisi

Post by Impisi »

Looks very nice
Cheers
Martin

my recent builds
Bissyboat

Post by Bissyboat »

Amazing Pibber. The details are exquisite. Most impressive!
"We're going to need a bigger boat"
X12A

Post by X12A »

Nice one Alan, like this. They were certainly well armed for the size of them.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Wow!! That's really great ! I agree with others, putting the crew in "off-duty" mode works well. I think you have made a great interpretation.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.

Return to “Ships, Boats and Submarines”