WW2 Lancaster recovered from the sea bed

Chill out 'n' talk about anything. Have a giggle, play a game or have a rant and try not to fall off the Soap Box. (NOTE Standard Forum Rules apply).
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

WW2 Lancaster recovered from the sea bed

Post by iggie »

Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
DavidWomby

Re: WW2 Lancaster recovered from the sea bed

Post by DavidWomby »

Wonderful that they still go to the effort to do things like this for those who sacrificed and their families.

David
iggie

Post by iggie »

DavidWomby wrote: November 9th, 2023, 11:23 pm Wonderful that they still go to the effort to do things like this for those who sacrificed and their families.

David
Isn't it just? A magnificent effort by all concerned...
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Davem
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Davem »

I wonder what's buried on the recovered areas of land i.e. now dry land?
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

The individual photos of the lost aircrew are very poignant - they deserve a memorial of some type which I hope will be part of the project.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
wokka

Post by wokka »

Yes, a lot of these guys were 20-22years old.
It's only pain, work through it.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Davem wrote: November 10th, 2023, 2:33 pmI wonder what's buried on the recovered areas of land i.e. now dry land?
Good question, so I asked a friend who works in archeology if any serious recovery efforts had been made during the reclamation. I'd expected a quick one or two lines of response, which I would have gladly paraphrased, but I got a rather more complete story, so without further ado I'll hand the microphone to Godfried (any translation errors are on me):

"During the land reclamations in the Ijsselmeer in the 1960s and '70s, the recovery department of the KLu (Dutch Airforce) spent serious effort on locating WWII airplane wrecks. The wrecks recovered even included a German Gotha G.V bomber from 1917 that had gotten lost over The Netherlands. My uncle, who was a KLu sergeant-major at the DVM (aircraft materials depot) at Gilze-Rijen, took part in the recovery of several allied bombers in those years.

The main purpose of the recovery work in those days was to clear out any live ordinance and munitions still contained in the wrecks, in view of the potential danger those posed to residential areas and roads planned for the reclaimed land. For the government at the time, safety was the primary concern, not historical research or the recovery of the remains of any crewmembers that might still be inside the wrecks.

Not all wrecks in what are now the Ijsselmeerpolders were recovered at that time, only those that were identified from the surface, and now on dry land. Wrecks still under water typically pose no immediate danger, and are mainly recovered if they become some form of hazard. Starting about four years ago, plans have been drawn up for the recovery of about fifty allied aircraft wrecks, some of them in the Ijsselmeer, the crews of which are still listed as missing after eighty years."
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

I watched a documentary years ago where a B24 was found in reclaimed land. After investigations the fuselage was filled in with concrete.
Anyone have a link to it?:I wouldn't mind watching it again.

All the best

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein

Return to “General Chat”