The kit in your stash that you're afraid to build!!

Here's where the general chat and organization of Group/Shared Builds takes place, with Guidelines, the GB/SB Calendar, and an Index to completed GBs.

Moderator: PaulBradley

iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: The kit in your stash that you're afraid to build!!

Post by iggie »

I was thinking about which occupants of my stash qualify, and so far the list includes:
4 x Wingnut Wings kits
1/200 Titanic
1/72 Dora rail gun (thankfully not the 1/35th one :shock: )
About 7 1/350 ships c/w extras...
1/32 Lancaster
1/32 Mosquito
1/24 Mosquito...
Help!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Come on! We know you could polish that lot off in a week now that you're retiring, Jim.

David
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Without question it is the Airfix RE8, which has been lurking in the stash for a number of years. I would want to correct it, add extra detail, plus it is in 1/72nd with all that comes with that such as braille scale struts, rigging, etc, etc and the build would, I'm afraid, likely turn into one of my marathon six to eight month endeavours, by which time everyone watching would have lost the will to live, possibly including myself :ha:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

Eduard 1:72 DH2! I’ve done some practice bits on the Revell interpretation but would really like to get the DH2 ‘right’ - but all that knitting, I would need some guidance from VV.
Tony

The older I get the better I was!
Current build:
Airfix 1:72 Javelin FAW9
Particular modelling interests:
Cuban Airforce aircraft, 29(F) Sqn aircraft, Aircraft I’ve flown
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

ShaunW wrote: November 18th, 2023, 5:38 pm Without question it is the Airfix RE8, which has been lurking in the stash for a number of years. I would want to correct it, add extra detail, plus it is in 1/72nd with all that comes with that such as braille scale struts, rigging, etc, etc and the build would, I'm afraid, likely turn into one of my marathon six to eight month endeavours, by which time everyone watching would have lost the will to live, possibly including myself :ha:
I think that's one for a "Total Rebuild" GB. :ha:

I've also found a 1/32 Williams Brothers Sparrowhawk which also looks "interesting". :shock:
Up in the Great White North
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Spit-balling ideas on how we can fit this into our 2024 calendar.

It will need to be longer than usual, but not too long that interest wanes - would 3 months be a good timeframe?

When to have it?

1. We could fit it in as an additional GB in, for example, a 3-month (see above) period between the Blitzbaus. This would overlap three GBs.
2. We could move a GB from the middle of the year and add it to the vacant slot at the end of the year. Then this new GB would only overlap two GBs rather than 3. Someone would have to volunteer to move their GB. If Jim is going to be GB for this, it might be best to move the Aerobatic Team GB in that case, so he isn't doing two at once. I'm also happy to GB this one.

Thoughts?
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

I saw that old Revell DH2 Tony. You were doing an awesome job with it. Certainly worth finishing it off.

All the best

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

PaulBradley wrote: November 18th, 2023, 10:25 pm Spit-balling ideas on how we can fit this into our 2024 calendar.
Either plan sounds good Paul. Due to the longer length I wondered if we might need more "staff". I'd be happy to be a deputy leader to lighten the load.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
iggie

Post by iggie »

I'm happy to be GBL, but agree totally about moving a GB to the end of the year and if it works out calender-wise then by all means move the Aerobatic GB 👍
beany wrote: November 18th, 2023, 11:00 pm
Either plan sounds good Paul. Due to the longer length I wondered if we might need more "staff". I'd be happy to be a deputy leader to lighten the load.
That would be great Al 👍 Thanks :grin:
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

OK, so how about May/June/July for this, and Aerobatics in the Dec/Jan slot? I'd propose May 4 to August 4. That's 13 weeks.

And Co-GBLs is a great idea. Thanks for volunteering, Al!
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

PaulBradley wrote: November 19th, 2023, 12:14 am OK, so how about May/June/July for this, and Aerobatics in the Dec/Jan slot? I'd propose May 4 to August 4. That's 13 weeks.

I'd be quite happy for you to move the C-130 GB if it helps Paul, assuming the above doesn't work.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
iggie

Post by iggie »

PaulBradley wrote: November 19th, 2023, 12:14 am OK, so how about May/June/July for this, and Aerobatics in the Dec/Jan slot? I'd propose May 4 to August 4. That's 13 weeks.

That's fine with me Paul 👍
Best wishes

Jim
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

Gregers wrote: November 18th, 2023, 10:34 pm I saw that old Revell DH2 Tony. You were doing an awesome job with it. Certainly worth finishing it off.

All the best

Greg
Greg,
I get where you are coming from but reflect, if you will, on the time I would be wasting on that ‘sows ear’ when I could be using the same time in Eduards ‘silk purse’?
Tony

The older I get the better I was!
Current build:
Airfix 1:72 Javelin FAW9
Particular modelling interests:
Cuban Airforce aircraft, 29(F) Sqn aircraft, Aircraft I’ve flown
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Very true. I do admit though, I like beating old kits into submission

All the best

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

There is no "kit" in the "stash" that scares me such that I wouldn't build it, or at least try. I like to think that kits don't get into the stash without that factor already being considered. If there are any (mostly vacform biplane flying boats), then they are waiting until I build myself up to that level so I can address then with hope of success.

I liked James' answer, paraphrased: "I think the kits that scare me are the ones I want to make a commitment in time to get it right regardless of the fiddliest bits of fine resin and PE." Compound that with my own propensity to turn a "kit" into a "project" through conversions, modifications, add-ons, etc, and sooner or later I find myself in way over my head before I even start and I cannot bring myself to scale it back to something within my current skill (& health) set.

I am concerned that some of these GB proposals are getting away from the old UAMF definitions found in the Guidelines.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.

Return to “The Group/Shared Build Chat”