Medusa (1/24 Masterbox)

Whole chunks of real life...scaled down, figures in all scales...even footballers!
B4en
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Medusa (1/24 Masterbox)

Post by B4en »

I fancied a change from tiny tanks and planes, and found this. A rather fine bit of sculpting, the sculptor has even put subtle scales on some of her skin. Construction is simple and parts fit is pretty good. This is obviously meant to be a 'sexy' version of the myth rather than the original Greek 'utterly monstrous' version.

In the myth Medusa was actually a tragic figure: the beautiful mortal child of two minor deities, raped by a god then cursed by a goddess. No women's solidarity from Athena there! The basic kit is a bit lacking in the snake department so I made some extras for her hair from milliput - a few spares can be seen on the floor. The floor itself is based on an actual ancient Greek mosaic with a serpentine motif - I roughed it out in pencil on a piece of plasticard then dabbed away until I was happy with it. Took a while but it was quite enjoyable to do, in a therapeutic sort of way.

Just for fun I decided this should be Euryale - one of Medusa's immortal sisters - and added an unfortunate German feldwebel in the process of getting stoned. He really shouldn't have scrawled his name on her podium!

It was nice to try some really careful figure painting on a slightly larger scale for once. I used a mix of acrylics and artist's oils for most of the painting. Hope you all enjoy the Indiana Jones vibe.

The past, present, and future walked into a bar. It was tense.
general rocket

Re: Medusa (1/24 Masterbox)

Post by general rocket »

Nice
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

She looks great. Beautiful paint, and I am in awe of the base…”dabbed away” eh?
Best,
M.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Blimey the base is stunning piece of work itself, but the excellent figure more than stand up for itself. I really like you’ve painted her scales to match the mosaic.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
B4en

Post by B4en »

Thanks guys, glad you like her. The floor did feel like an exercise in pointillism. The original mosaic looks much better and is certainly better laid out.
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Great idea, and very well executed.

Nigel
B4en

Post by B4en »

Clashcityrocker wrote: November 19th, 2023, 1:44 am Great idea, and very well executed.

Nigel
Cheers Nigel! Honestly the old Tamiya German was kind of an afterthought as she looked a bit lonesome by herself. I wish I'd made the graffiti a bit larger as it looks a bit smudged and hard to read in the photos. It should read GUNTHER HIER WAR.
BWP
Got in under the wire

Post by BWP »

Superb work B4en, but we expect nothing less!
Bruce Probst
Melbourne, Australia
"I want to decide who lives and who dies."
My Model Profile
B4en

Post by B4en »

BWP wrote: November 19th, 2023, 9:47 pm Superb work B4en, but we expect nothing less!
Many thanks Bruce. Sometimes the painting works out well and I must admit this looks better than I expected in the photos.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Gorgeous little vignette, although if it were me, I'd probably need therapy after that mosaic :shock:
B4en wrote: November 18th, 2023, 7:11 am This is obviously meant to be a 'sexy' version of the myth rather than the original Greek 'utterly monstrous' version.
Mind you, even the marginally less ancient Greeks preferred a stunningly beautiful Medusa (lame pun intentional) to the gross and ugly one from about 500BC. Not sure if that included her sisters; Medusa was drifting away from one of three similar creatures to a more unique character by then. Given that they're supposed to be immortal, I suppose we could go and check what the real one looks like, but there might be side effects to taking a look :twisted:
B4en

Post by B4en »

rob_van_riel wrote: November 26th, 2023, 4:19 pm Gorgeous little vignette, although if it were me, I'd probably need therapy after that mosaic :shock:
Haha thanks Rob. Honestly once the basic pattern was sketched out it was like doing one of those old painting by numbers sets.

I've suspected for quite a while that the gorgons were derived from the 'heroic' age attacks on Crete, with it's snake waving bare breasted ladies.

Return to “Figures and Diorama”