Da Vinci's Flying Machine (Academy)

From Apollo and Soyuz, to Gerry Anderson, Irwin Allen, Star Wars and Trek to Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica and those strange, doe-eyed Japanese school girls...to any model kits you can think of, that only exists in imagination.
B4en
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Da Vinci's Flying Machine (Academy)

Post by B4en »

I suppose this is more of an educational toy than a model. Is it accurate to one of Da Vinci's designs? Well no, but it states where it differs quite clearly in the instructions - and it's great fun! The parts are moulded in a hard but durable plastic needing minimal cleanup. The instructions are clear. No glue is required - the parts click or push tightly into place - and it took about an hour to build. An hour well spent says I.

I didn't risk any painting until it was built to avoid causing problems with the moving parts, then decided to leave the black plastic parts alone and just do some work on the 'wooden' bits. Used acrylics to lighten the upper surfaces and darken the underneath, and picked out the joins on the wings and tail. The name plate took some concentration and I sealed the gold paint with Klear to avoid having to do it again after grubby hands have gotten hold of it over the festive period.

Does it work? Hell yes! The little clockwork motor spins the rattly cogs to pump the armatures up and down and flap the wings. It's a neat little mechanism. Ok it doesn't actually fly, Da Vinci didn't have access to clockwork motors and his wing designs were actually much more complex - but the cat got very interested and that's good enough for me. Honestly I'm tempted to get another to mess around with.

Happy Christmas all!

The wings a-flapping while the motor whirrs!

The past, present, and future walked into a bar. It was tense.
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Re: Da Vinci's Flying Machine (Academy)

Post by jssel »

Wow. I likey a lot. Never saw that kit before
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Your minimal painting looks very good.
Congrats your test flight didn't scatter parts all over !
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Very cool!
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

That's very neat 👍
Up in the Great White North
B4en

Post by B4en »

Glad you like it everyone - so far it has survived small hands in the pre-Christmas visiting season, so I can report it is definitely quite sturdy! I really should have put something in the photos to indicate size - the wingspan is about 8".

There is quite a range of these Da Vinci kits from Academy and Italeri - as far as I can tell they are the same kits but the Academy ones are cheaper. I have another one done which will get posted up in a week or two, and will almost certainly pick up a few more. They are derived from Da Vinci's sketches and most - maybe all - were never built in his lifetime. I wonder what the old boy would have made of this stuff being produced as model kits?
The past, present, and future walked into a bar. It was tense.
general rocket

Post by general rocket »

Nice to see something different.
I wish, that I knew what was doing!

Return to “Real Space, Sci-Fi and What-iffery”