The TR7

Pictures of real vehicles
DavidWomby
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: A TeeELL Triangle - The TR7

Post by DavidWomby »

I thought it looked odd when it first came out but it has grown on me over the years. However, still nothing like as good-looking as a Mk2/3 Capri

David
iggie

Post by iggie »

My ex-brother in law had one briefly; he would probably suggest the addition of an 'R' in the registration number on the boxart, before the 'D' to more accurately describe his thoughts on the car.
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
flakmonkey

Post by flakmonkey »

A most unfortunate car, the TR7. It wasn't even intended as a TR6 replacement, but initially as an MG. Triumph's engineers were working on a mid engined targa top as the real TR7, but BL being BL, it was decided by a committee of product planners that the Harris Mann designed wedge would do the job instead. Of course, to save money it was forced to use parts from the BL corporate bin, including a Marina rear axle set up. The planned "Sprint" with a Dolomite Sprint 16 valve engine, was cancelled, and the planned from day one V8 only appeared during the final months of production with fewer than 2500 built.

In short, a disaster, whose case was not helped by constant industrial action and the deplorable buid quality of the early Speke produced models, cured by transferring production to Coventry and Solihull, but the reputational damage had been done. Still, at least it looked like a modern car, albeit in a marmite kind of way. Legend has it that Guigario saw the car at a motorshow, walked around, and exclaimed "oh my God! They've done it to the other side too!"

At least they were very comfortable :mrgreen:

I don't think I've ever seen one of these built up, so this will be most interesting.
Would ya like to learn to fly? Would ya? Would you like to see me try?
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

Gosh! I had no idea that building a toy car could cause such controversy Lol! :)
Tony

The older I get the better I was!
Current build:
Airfix 1:72 Javelin FAW9
Particular modelling interests:
Cuban Airforce aircraft, 29(F) Sqn aircraft, Aircraft I’ve flown
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Re: A TeeELL Triumphant Triangle - The TR7

Post by AndrewR »

What were BL thinking in the 1970s?

And who would buy one? 🤔
Up in the Great White North
wokka

Post by wokka »

An interesting subject and doomed to failure when they announced the 1600cc engine and not the 2.5 litre inline 6. Another monumental BL management blast up.
It's only pain, work through it.
Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

AndrewR wrote: January 6th, 2024, 1:46 pm What were BL thinking in the 1970s?

And who would buy one? 🤔
What BL were thinking was actually quite sensible. They realised that the biggest export market for small British sports cars was always the USA, and exports were vital to BL. So they asked some American representatives what they would want from a new British sports car. Consensus of opinion was for something relatively simple to maintain with basic rear wheel drive mechanicals, a steeper rake on the windscreen so they could see up to the overhead suspended US traffic lights more easily, and compact dimensions and tidy handling.

Also, at the time there was a strong possibility that open top convertibles would be outlawed in the USA because of increasing safety legislation (that’s why there were no convertible Camaros and Firebirds in the 2nd Generation style (‘70-’81) because GM thought the same way), so BL went for a hard top. Then the styling was somewhat compromised to meet US legislation bumper impact laws that had come in, and so on and so on. Finally, Harris Mann went a bit mad with the (at the time on-trend) wedge styling and combined it with BL parts-bin simple mechanicals and the result was the TR7.

They were never very powerful, and the export ones for the US were even worse, strangled by ever more stringent American legislated emission controls. But the UK spec ones were never as bad to drive as people think.

Obviously, quality was, erm, ‘compromised’ by patchy build quality and cheap materials, and like a lot of BL products at the time, it was (and still is) trendy to bad-mouth and rubbish them. But it could be argued that they did the best they could with what they had, and met the brief…..

So, in reality, the whole thing was modelled with the US market in mind.

Later on, when the suspected convertible laws didn’t come in and outlaw them, they lopped the top off the TR7 and it looked a whole lot better.

Good luck with the model Tony!

Zee28
Zee28

The TR7

Post by Zee28 »

TeeELL wrote: January 8th, 2024, 7:14 pm I have asked that a line be drawn under the ‘real car’ discussions. The pro’s and con’s of the car’s design, build quality etc are not appropriate to this kit build. Thank you.
Fair comment, but I’m feeling the need to share…..

One of the many great things about this forum is that it generates discussion around the primary thread topic, ie. The most basic of human interaction – ‘Conversation’!

Somebody builds a model aeroplane and then fellow members comment on seeing a real one at a museum or at an air show. We even have ex-service people telling great tales of flying in the real ones (I’m looking at you TeeELL!). People also often give interesting historic accounts of the real aircraft to compliment their model comments. And it is all genuinely interesting and fascinating stuff, I love it. Although some killjoys may consider it as sometimes going a bit off-topic, it also brings an added dimension to the hobby and makes the forum a far more interesting read. And it always gets back on topic eventually, often without intervention.

If we only discussed the model making angle it would be a bit dry…. Glue, Filler, Paint, Decals (repeat), so a little bit of straying, but still related and relevant, conversation is often a good thing.

After all, most modelling is about recreating a smaller version of a real thing, so why not discuss the real thing as well? I see absolutely nothing wrong in it.

And this thread has generating some genuinely interesting discussion about the TR7 which I for one have most enjoyed reading, even though I don’t really do model cars.

So, although we are all following with interest how the model progresses, lets not be too hasty to ‘Draw a line’ under any related discussion, it keeps things fascinating and generates interest. It is possible to over-moderate sometimes.

Opinions welcome!

Anyway, now I have shared my view, let’s get back to the model. The replacement wheels look excellent Tony, a real improvement, Minilites always look kinda retro-cool. I must admit I would have just painted between the spokes on the kit wheels black and hoped to get away with it! Bodger, me!

Like others have said, I too often admire people who make their own decals, I've just done some myself for switches and controls on a home made variable transformer unit and was surprised how good they come out (only simple black text though, I’m yet to try complex colours and design). Excellent stuff mate!

Will continue to follow with interest.

Zee28
TeeELL

Re: The TR7

Post by TeeELL »

In searching for information to help with my Airfix TR7 build, I came across these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyQo5FgLf-4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mzqlUewLEE
Tony

The older I get the better I was!
Current build:
Airfix 1:72 Javelin FAW9
Particular modelling interests:
Cuban Airforce aircraft, 29(F) Sqn aircraft, Aircraft I’ve flown
Zee28

Re: The TR7

Post by Zee28 »

Hi Tony,

Yes, the second video by Grand Thrift Auto is intelligently presented and seems well researched as well, and covers pretty much what we have been saying on here. I have watched a lot of his videos, I have an interest in car history (admittedly mainly US stuff) and like well researched articles.

And..... Gotta love that Tartan seat upholstery! It seemed to be everywhere in cars at the time.

Well done for continuing with this thread Tony (et all), an interesting conversation by all who've contributed, but since your thread has been dismembered into two, presumably to ensure this conversation doesn't get in the way of exclusively 'Model Only Talk', I will pop back to the build to check progress shortly.

To most RAF types like yourself, I guess 'Tin Triangle' means a Vulcan, but this can be your other Tin Triangle! ;-)

Zee28

Return to “The Garage”