Converting Airfix 1/76 Panzer IV F2 to Ausf H

Millitary miscellany; Tanks, AFV, Trucks and other Soft-Skin vehicles etc.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Re: Converting Airfix 1/76 Panzer IV F2 to Ausf H

Post by ShaunW »

That's a great method for scratching up some decent looking tracks. When I built my Hasegawa Kfz.7/FLAK 38 combo I liberated the tracks from a couple of Airfix Kfz.7's that I built as a youngster in the 70's as they had much more finesse than the Hase ones, which probably tells you how bad the latter were, too thick is not the word!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
B4en
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by B4en »

ShaunW wrote: March 9th, 2024, 2:25 pm That's a great method for scratching up some decent looking tracks. When I built my Hasegawa Kfz.7/FLAK 38 combo I liberated the tracks from a couple of Airfix Kfz.7's that I built as a youngster in the 70's as they had much more finesse than the Hase ones, which probably tells you how bad the latter were, too thick is not the word!
I never did try the Hasegawa Kfz.7 - sounds like the tracks are exceptionally poor, though that wasn't unusual for the olden days kits... :roll: Here are some tracks for the Airfix version - I went along the edges pressing a point flat into the plasticard to get the little indentations.

The past, present, and future walked into a bar. It was tense.
KellerModeller
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by KellerModeller »

Quoted instead of edited..
I like to carve old kits into something roughly aircraft/tank shaped... :grin:
KellerModeller
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by KellerModeller »

B4en wrote: March 10th, 2024, 8:08 am
ShaunW wrote: March 9th, 2024, 2:25 pm That's a great method for scratching up some decent looking tracks. When I built my Hasegawa Kfz.7/FLAK 38 combo I liberated the tracks from a couple of Airfix Kfz.7's that I built as a youngster in the 70's as they had much more finesse than the Hase ones, which probably tells you how bad the latter were, too thick is not the word!
I never did try the Hasegawa Kfz.7 - sounds like the tracks are exceptionally poor, though that wasn't unusual for the olden days kits... :roll: Here are some tracks for the Airfix version - I went along the edges pressing a point flat into the plasticard to get the little indentations.

(..great picture was here...)
The Hasegawa Kfz 7 are exeptionally poor, being very thick and completely flat on the sides, definitely showing why this track type is called "rubber band".
Your method looks so good, I almost regret buying AM tracks for my Hasegawa Kfz 7 :-D
I like to carve old kits into something roughly aircraft/tank shaped... :grin:
Cardinal
Getting well comfy!

Post by Cardinal »

B4en wrote: March 10th, 2024, 8:08 am
Very nice work. The Sdkfz 7 is another kit I’ve got on my to do… I think I’ll use the kit tracks but If I ever lose any tracks I should try scratch building methods. Maybe on a Sherman I have lying around.
Alex

The more effort I put into a model, the better it becomes!
Cardinal
Getting well comfy!

Post by Cardinal »

The hull schurzen hooks were completed over the weekend and were not too much effort compared to the turret work. I’ll take it I’m getting better at scratch building and that works out well. Some thicker parts but it comes together well and I believe that the blade I used to cut can blame for that. I need a better knife for thicker plastic card since it wrecks my Xacto knife. Maybe I should use a larger blade… So perhaps I am to blame :roll: painting already started on this so hopefully the camo scheme will be done soon. I’ve got plenty more things to work on. Though I will likely move my desk up to my bedroom, because I’m way more active there than in the cold basement.

While the rear hooks are thin, these front ones were way thicker.

Shots like this angle make the model feel real and heavy… Atleast to me :grin:

More to come, stay tuned…
Alex

The more effort I put into a model, the better it becomes!
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Great progress, Alex, looking forward to seeing it with the full armour on.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300

Return to “Tanks, AFV and other Military Models”