Converting Airfix 1/76 Panzer IV F2 to Ausf H

Millitary miscellany; Tanks, AFV, Trucks and other Soft-Skin vehicles etc.
Cardinal
Getting well comfy!

Re: Converting Airfix 1/76 Panzer IV F2 to Ausf H

Post by Cardinal »

Once again thank you all for the kind comments.

The schurzen for the turret is now done. It was surprisingly less difficult than I had feared it would be, so I’m glad it’s come out this great. I thought I would have more trouble with the back plate since it is curved, but once I glued one side and let it dry, the piece was easy to work with. So easy that it only slipped once :lol: I think I’ll leave it how it is now, no need for further detailing though if I feel it would be necessary I can go back and work on it. But for now this works great and up next is painting it in the primary coat, then making some schurzen for the hull.

Completed model so far.

Another photo of the current work, rear view.

Close up of the rear plate of schurzen.

Side view.

Coming together well.
Alex

The more effort I put into a model, the better it becomes!
B4en
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by B4en »

Nice going Alex. Nearly there!
The past, present, and future walked into a bar. It was tense.
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

That's coming along really well.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Great job with the turret armour, Alex, this is progressing really well.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Cardinal
Getting well comfy!

Post by Cardinal »

There are a few advantages to using an airbrush over a hand brush. A lot of hobby paints for air brushes have specific paints for what you might be looking for, whether it be a green for your Soviet infantry or a brown for your British soft skins, they have it available usually. For hand paints I find it’s not as easy to find what you need. Maybe I look in the wrong places? It doesn’t bother me too much because I find some pretty close paints that work in their place. I do this because acrylic and hand brushes are just cheaper, buying an airbrush right now at my local hobby store would cost $70-200 USD, and I’m currently looking to get a lot of kits which means the cheapest options for paint. Now that’s not to talk down hand brushes, because they honestly work great and I have used them because of this. I’m sure someday I’ll switch to airbrush but for now I will keep to my hand brushes. With the main coat down I can move on to making the hull schurzen and then completing the camouflage. So close… But work is still to be completed.

Current work. The zimmerit makes painting annoying but I think I got it down good enough.

Overhead view from behind.

A side shot of the tank with the turret in a more active position. Testing around with camera angles is fun to do!

Stay tuned.
Alex

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Looking good, Alex. I'm an habitual airbrush user and have been since the 90's as I could never achieve a finish that I was happy with using paint brushes - there are some great brush painters out there, I'm just not one of them! These days my brushes come out for detail and figure painting.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
B4en

Post by B4en »

The paint is certainly pulling this together Alex. Nice work.
Cardinal
Getting well comfy!

Post by Cardinal »

Hull schurzen has been cut out and makes me this much closer to getting this done. All that is left is to make the hooks for both and paint them up. A bit of fiddling with the pieces but for the most part they are pretty close to what I need them for. Hopefully no extensive adjustments needed… Good to get this over with, now I can fully focus on the tougher part, being more hooks. Slow process to make, but any progress is welcome.

Both schurzen plates. The number was just some measurements.

Last post on this for a while? Depends on how soon I finish up some other work.
Alex

CementNotGlue
Active Participant

Post by CementNotGlue »

B4en wrote: January 28th, 2024, 10:02 am Good start there Cardinal. The Airfix kit is pretty decent apart from the road wheels and tracks IIRC.
Where do I get replacement tracks? The tracks and tank have mysteriously parted company
B4en

Post by B4en »

CementNotGlue wrote: March 4th, 2024, 11:32 pm
B4en wrote: January 28th, 2024, 10:02 am Good start there Cardinal. The Airfix kit is pretty decent apart from the road wheels and tracks IIRC.
Where do I get replacement tracks? The tracks and tank have mysteriously parted company

Cardinal
Getting well comfy!

Post by Cardinal »

Interesting method, Ben. I never would have thought about that.
Alex

KellerModeller
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by KellerModeller »

B4en wrote: March 5th, 2024, 8:45 pm
CementNotGlue wrote: March 4th, 2024, 11:32 pm
Images
😳 Wow, now that's real scratchbuilding! Great idea!
I like to carve old kits into something roughly aircraft/tank shaped... :grin:
CementNotGlue
Active Participant

Post by CementNotGlue »

Hallo gentlemen
Please may I suggest a zimmert technique? Packaging for Lindt Lindor milk chocolate bars 4 x 25g

I'm not sure I'm clever enough to make my own tracks. Explanation needed please for bear with little brain.
Cardinal
Getting well comfy!

Post by Cardinal »

CementNotGlue wrote: March 6th, 2024, 10:45 pm Hallo gentlemen
Please may I suggest a zimmert technique? Packaging for Lindt Lindor milk chocolate bars 4 x 25g

I'm not sure I'm clever enough to make my own tracks. Explanation needed please for bear with little brain.
That’s an interesting zimmerit technique. I’ll keep it in mind next time I stumble upon a lindor…

The tracks been showed seem to be built from plastic card in very thin strips. I could easily see why approaching it this way would put you off.

As for alternatives, There are no aftermarket tracks for the Airfix Panzer IV that I know of, so you would have to resort to buying another kit with similar tracks. Revell 1/72 Panzer IV H have good replacement for plastic track link you could use, Matchbox/Revell Jagdpanzer IV are a good option, and Nitto/Fujimi Panzer IV J also work (but are a bit fiddly)

If you do not wish to buy another kit, I recommend looking if you have any other spare tracks in a spares box. Depending on what you intend to use this vehicle for it does not have to be the exact tracks. If that’s not a good choice either, the easiest solution is to grab two identical rubber bands, fit on the tank, and then detail them however you wish.

Hopefully one of these was of good assistance to you :grin:
Alex

B4en

Post by B4en »

Cardinal wrote: March 7th, 2024, 6:04 am The tracks been showed seem to be built from plastic card in very thin strips. I could easily see why approaching it this way would put you off.
That's it Alex. The ends of the long strips were glued to the blue card to keep them straight. The easiest ones to make this way are for German halftracks which only need two long strips and some thicker blocks on top. Use a spacer to keep the distance between eack block the same as you glue them down, and a steel rule along the edge to make sure one edge is straight - you can always trim the other edge straight later. It's a slow method, but better than some kit tracks. The old Airfix ones always look too thick.

Otherwise as Alex said, steal tracks from another kit or rummage in the spares box assuming you have one. I like the rubber band suggestion! :)

Return to “Tanks, AFV and other Military Models”