Simon's Swingy Wingy Thingies

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
SJPONeill
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Simon's Swingy Wingy Thingies

Post by SJPONeill »

This is a continuation of my two DNF builds from the Swinging Sixties GB (https://uamf.org.uk/viewforum.php?f=484). Really enjoyed the theme and conduct of this GB and was making good prgress on both builds - sadly real life intruded near the end and my DNF recorded remains untarnished...

The two build in question were the Comet Miniatures 1/72(allegedly) Thunderbird 1 (https://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=484&t=24853) and the Academy (former Hasegawa) 1/72 MiG-27 Flogger-D (https://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=484&t=25024). The Flogger was my late starting back-up when I realised that I had greatly underestimated the engineering issues associated with the TB1 - from that I can now see some of the appeal for the forum Blitzbau...

Ae we discussed during the build-up to the GB, the swing-wing era was a limited period that last between a time when swing-wingery became technically feasible and only a couple of decades later, when the technology was overtaken by newer developments that rendered such complex mechanical solutions less necessary.

When I reviewed my stash for contenders for the GB, TB-1 leapt out straight away but I was surprised at not just just how many swingwings I had but how many I had multiples of as well...So this thread will be for the completion of TB1 and the Flogger and then for the gradual completion of my other qualifying swingwing kits (and any others that happen to fall into the stash)...

Since the end of the GB, I've taken some time out to get the house all squared away again and get back on top of work/life balance stuff. Both builds are at the stage of final filling and sanding before hitting them with some colour. Not really too much to show as it's just been a process of fill, sand, prime and repeat with the final surfaces taking the longest...

Most of the tidying up of TB1's main fuselage is around the leading edges of the wing gloves.

...and just tidying up the seam on the forward engine compartment. Although included on some parts of the model the slot for the wing to retract into did not extend over the filled area of the compartment and I'll probably represent this with a simple matt black stripe on each side...

Most on the filling on the Flogger has been around the rear fuselage where the upper and lower fuselage halves meet - lessons for the next one will be to brace the interior so that the external surfaces meet uniformly; after this, the sanding challenges were all around the complex curves of the closed landing gear doors - the way to do this in future would be to fill the bays with two part filler and press each of the three dorrs into the filler until they are flush...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
Clashcityrocker

Re: Simon's Swingy Wingy Thingies

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Nice to see these builds continuing.

Nigel
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Great that you’re continuing with these after taking a breather.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Interesting builds, Simon, particularly the Thunderbird 1, which is something nicely different. I built the old Hasegawa MiG-23 back in the 90's and I don't recall it being a particularly bad kit, though I built it gear down and with the wings cemented in one position - the latter is my usual practice with VG aircraft as I'm not a fan of operating features as often I find such things compromise the build, which is another way of saying my fudging fingers aren't up to building the operating system properly :ha:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Getting more of the swingy wingy thingies onto this thread - I never would have thought of this as swing-wingy but it has wings and they swing...Updates started on my Workbench thread (https://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=273&start=345) but will continue here...

Scored off the interent ages ago and going for crazy money now...

Leftover ACES II seats from the 1/32 Trumpeter A-10N/AW to replace the kit couches dryfit for appearance and fit...in some episodes there is like a dicky seat behind the front seats where Sam sits but not sure I can make that work - pretty sure I have another of these seats spare from the single seat A-10...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

ShaunW wrote: January 28th, 2024, 5:56 pm Interesting builds, Simon, particularly the Thunderbird 1, which is something nicely different. I built the old Hasegawa MiG-23 back in the 90's and I don't recall it being a particularly bad kit, though I built it gear down and with the wings cemented in one position - the latter is my usual practice with VG aircraft as I'm not a fan of operating features as often I find such things compromise the build, which is another way of saying my fudging fingers aren't up to building the operating system properly :ha:
I'm very much the same, Shaun...unles sthey are proper mechanical movements I'd much rather glue them in place for strength than leave them loose - partly coz I'll never be able to resist the temptation to fiddle with them, which leads to broken bits and tears...
B4en

Post by B4en »

SJPONeill wrote: January 29th, 2024, 1:14 am Getting more of the swingy wingy thingies onto this thread - I never would have thought of this as swing-wingy but it has wings and they swing...Updates started on my Workbench thread (https://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=273&start=345) but will continue here...

Scored off the interent ages ago and going for crazy money now...
What a find! Poor old Joe 90 - the most abused child in Gerry Anderson's shows. I loved that show as a kid.
The past, present, and future walked into a bar. It was tense.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Now there's another great classic bit of Anderson sci-fi, Simon. I recall many moons ago having a Dinky Toys die cast model of the flying Joe 90 car and I wouldn't be surprised if originals of that aren't fetching silly money these days.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

I find them very hard to resist, Shaun...have just picked up another two Imai Spectrum vehicles off eBay...like to build them as I imagine them with extra detail as opposed to being 100% true to the studio models...I try to shop around to avoid the silly money ones but you can often get a good price if you're not too fussed about the standard of the box and/or are willing to scratch some minor missing parts...
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

The fill-sand-prime cycle for the Flogger is over and almost done for TB1...psyching myself up to start painting the three major sub-assemblies before final assembly...

Still looking for some way to tart up the rocket outlets...

Thinking of slicing and dicing some piping nozzles to make the nozzles more conical in appearance...

Also on the hunt for some cheap 1/144 jets that might be able to sacrifice some jet pipes...
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Could you drill them out and insert some tubing?

David
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

That was my original plan and probs what I'll go back to but was after something perhaps a little more visually interesting that the gun-metal button on the original...the cutaway implies a more complex engine setup...

(This is from a review of the Aoshima 1/144 TB1)
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Oh...and NOW I find out there was wheeled and skid landing gear
general rocket

Post by general rocket »

All the times I have watched Thunderbirds (nearly 60 years) I never noticed the different landing gear.
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

The wheeled gear didn't seem to be seen very often IIRC but even as a child that discrepancy annoyed me. I found the inconsistencies in the size and position of the markings irritating too. Compare the TB1 markings on the noses of the two different
studio models in the photos above.

Not that I'm obsessive or anything :-D

David

Return to “Aviation Modelling”