Simon's Swingy Wingy Thingies

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Simon's Swingy Wingy Thingies

Post by iggie »

I must admit that I never noticed :-D
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

iggie wrote: February 5th, 2024, 12:45 pmI must admit that I never noticed :-D
Same, but from now on.....

Nigel
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

I've also owned that IMAI Mac's Car for many years but have always stumbled when it came to choosing a shade of green for it. I even purchased the collectors edition of the DVD set but still can't narrow it down to one shade. Anderson fan sites can sometimes tell you what colours were used on the studio models - Skydiver was Ford Anglia Oyster Brown for example and I have recently purchased a can of Peugeot Seville Orange for my TB3 but the green eludes me so I will be interested if you have an opinion Simon.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Hi Al, the only reference I have so far for colour is this build (https://projectswordtoys.blogspot.com/2 ... -imai.html)...I'm not a fan of the colour he has made up but go like the Viridian Metallc Green that he couldn't find, and the Pinetree Metallic he also refers to...I suspect that the appearance of the colour may change depending on what lighting is used in a specifci shot...

Pinetree Metallic

Viridian Metallc Green

I will probably find myself staring cross-eyed at paint displays til I fing something I like, then also buy half a dozen variations of a colour I will never use before settling on a stock Humbrol or Tamiya shade...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

DavidWomby wrote: February 5th, 2024, 11:52 am The wheeled gear didn't seem to be seen very often IIRC but even as a child that discrepancy annoyed me. I found the inconsistencies in the size and position of the markings irritating too. Compare the TB1 markings on the noses of the two different
studio models in the photos above.

Not that I'm obsessive or anything :-D

David
Of course not... :-D :-D :-D

I'd never noticed it onscreen but once I did, I can't unsee it...I expect that the alternating gear is the result of something falling off at the wrong moment and being hastily repaired to keep the shoot going...someone's mum/wife is probably still wondering where the pressor foot off her Singer sewing machine went...

Fortunately the main gear left over from a 1/72 B-58 build is already allocated to another build (another Anderson aircraft) otherwise I would be tempted to wheelise my one and fake something for the non-existent tail gear...I'm sure i could find something in the Matchbox 75 series to dummy up as a Andersonverse tow tractor...maybe the next build...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Had to shoot down to Whanganui today for some blood tests...took the opportunity to drop into Books'n'Toys...not holding as much stock as last time but picked up some RNZAF Huey decals and a couple of preloved books...also took the opportunity to stare at the paint display and Tamiya TS-20 looked pretty close to a decent colour for Mac's Car - no sure way of knowing though til I pick up a can and try it...

SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Have found five usable jet nozzles in the spares box, 4 from the Italeri B-58 and 1 from a Kfir that met an unfortunately end...these are recessed slightly to help give a feeling of depth about the engines...have some in 1/144 coming for the outer engines...

My first attempt at drilling the holes in the kit parts was a total botch up; the holes were rough and offcentre so I did some of the measuring and cuttung stuff to make up a new plate out of card to cover the horribleness and make sure the nozzles are all aligned and equidistance - still a little tidying up to do but IRL the acual holes are rounder and cleaner...

This cutting and drilling session brought to you by the Spotlight cutting tool which does circles from 1-15cm; and a Japanese screw punch which is a hand punch - no hammers! - that accepts a range of punches from 1-5mm and which rotates as you apply pressure resulting in a very clean cut through relatively thick material (up to about 1mm in depth)...
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Some progress,,,,nozzles aren't fixed yet, just sitting in place...

Further progress curtailed by a trip to ED after me and my little friend were fooling around and one of her (very sharp) canines raked across my arm...a good clean-out and five stitches later...no loss of movement or sensation just long and deep...
Yes, that's her on the floor...
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Eeeek! I hope you heal fast.

David
iggie

Post by iggie »

Ouch, that doesn't look fun 😕
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Doesn't hurt as much as I expected...more just stiff and a weaker grip for a while...

Two 1/144 F-4Es arrived today and have agreed to donate their jet pipes to TB1...
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

TB1 is progressing very nicely, Simon. Hope the arm heals quickly!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Feeling a bit under the weather this weekend - think I might have picked up a bug from a client on one of last week's tours so have been taking it easier than planned...spent a good chunk of today fossicking through spares boxes (yes, very plural!) to make sure I don't have any more of the Imai standard rubber tyres for the SPV - I thought that maybe the Mobile or Sky1 might have had them for the electric motor drive function but, nope, they only have plastic wheels...

I did take the opportunity to extract four of the tyres and hubs from the left over bits from the 1/48 B-1B and place them with Mac's Car to replace the tyres that kit donated (willingly) to the SPV...

Along the way, I found the third kit ACES II seat from the Trumperter A-10 series and also put it with Mac's Car. It looks pretty cramped at the moment but I think the main problem is the almost horizintal dashboard which takes up half the cab/cockpit. Building a vertically oriented dashboard will add considerable to the acreage available on the floor for seats, possibly even legroom for agents aged over 9 years old...

PS, seats are just sitting there which is why they look a little wobbly...
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Back to school this week. Doing two papers this semester: flying through the practical stuff but the cellular level theory is doing my head in so have packed away distractions for a while til I get on top of it...

In the meantime will do some doodling on a cockpit setup for Mac's Car...
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Some good imagineering going on there, Simon!
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"

Return to “Aviation Modelling”