Fujimi Porsche 911S, 1/24 Le Mans...Part 1.....

Time to pimp them rides!
Allan31
Active Participant

Fujimi Porsche 911S, 1/24 Le Mans...Part 1.....

Post by Allan31 »

So.... After 9-10 months of furiously building a 1 to 1 scale house, packing, moving and unpacking, Su and I are finally into our new home. I'm told the unpacking part can go on for years. I'm thankful for a full basement.

This will be a test build to try out my new model building station. I was graciously allowed to have my model building area incorporated into our office are. I finally have set up my trusty old oak teachers desk with all my building supplies in the (I think) best ever set-up.

The wooden paint rack to my left holds all the little Testors enamel bottles with everything else in easy reach. For the first time ever I have a real live paint booth over my right shoulder. I'm still figuring out how to vent it outside. Airbrush and compressor are hidden on the window sill behind the seat back. To the left of the model building area, I have set up my office desk with desk-top computer. I can now see reference photos on the screen without having to print them out. I strongly suspect I can participate in various zoom meetings with camera off and still build. :ha:

I wanted something easy and quick to build (think white) so I could test out my new digs. To that end I'm building the #45 Porsche that raced at Le mans in 1970. It also will allow me to add to my growing collection of cars that appeared both in the actual race and the Steve McQueen movie "Le Mans". My intension some day is to have them displayed lined up with a background of the pit wall.

The real car and the reel car both appear in the movie. They did a pretty good mock-up of the car for the cameras, only difference I can see is the race car had the extra headlights mounted on the bumper and the mock-up has them on the hood.

Fujimi Porsche 911S in 1/24 scale. 1969.

#45 driven by Claude Laurent and Jacques Marche. Apparently the car finished the race but covered insufficient miles to qualify in its class.

Decals are from "Le Mans Decal" in Spain. They are good, not Cartigraph but usable. They offer 100's of markings and are often the only available decals for any given car. https://www.lemansdecals.com/tienda/en/17-le-mans

After market headlights. Add interior roll cage, race seat and belts, standard Fuchs wheels, kit tires. Simple.

Since switching over to acrylics (kicking and screaming), I've yet to paint a gloss car so this is another test.

After not building anything for so long, I feel a bit rusty and not sure where to start. I'm sure it will come back to me once I start nipping sprue.
Thanks,
Allan Buttrick

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Fujimi Porsche 911S, 1/24 Le Mans.....

Post by iggie »

You'll be fine 🙂
It's like riding a bike, only (usually) less painful if it goes wrong...
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Great looking modelling room, Allan. Jim's right, it's like riding a bike and you'll be fine. I didn't build a model for years but it soon came back.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Allan31
Active Participant

Post by Allan31 »

The front and rear valances took a large bit of fiddling to get right.

Using the Plastruct with the metel core I built a roll cage.

I can't see in the photos if there is in fact a full cage, more likely just the roll bar behind the seat but I need the practice anyway.

I will wack the suspension on soon. 
Thanks,
Allan Buttrick

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Re: Fujimi Porsche 911S, 1/24 Le Mans...Part 1.....

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Very cool, looking forward to seeing more of this build
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Bikes, Locos and other civvie vehicles”