Wouldn’t it be nice

Chill out 'n' talk about anything. Have a giggle, play a game or have a rant and try not to fall off the Soap Box. (NOTE Standard Forum Rules apply).
TeeELL
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Wouldn’t it be nice

Post by TeeELL »

I’ve been a member of this most excellent Forum for some years now. During that time I have done my best to ‘get involved’, that is: to participate in GBs, to be ‘the whip cracker’ in GBs, to attempt (and routinely fail) in the blitz’s. What I have noticed is that, despite our membership numbers, it is the same dozen or so people who ‘step up’ and join in - whatever the GB theme.
I’ve joined GBs that fall far from my themes but which have added a little spice to my modelling - gingered up my mojo, if you will. Where am I going with this? Well, I am just suggesting that ‘joining in’ is a great way to enhance your experience of this fantastic forum. The encouragement from other members helps drive each of us to better results. So …. Don’t hold back and be a ‘watcher’, join in and be a participant - whatever your skill level, you will be embraced by the forum members. It would be terrific if a GB generated 20, 30 or 100 participants- new faces with new skills and ideas, newbies who are dipping a toe in the water, ‘old hands’ who don’t do GBs (but why - you have experience to offer).
Tony

The older I get the better I was!
Current build:
Airfix 1:72 Javelin FAW9
Particular modelling interests:
Cuban Airforce aircraft, 29(F) Sqn aircraft, Aircraft I’ve flown
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Re: Wouldn’t it be nice

Post by PaulBradley »

Agree 100%, Tony. It's always fun to join in. try something a bit different - heck, I even build a car this last time and I'm hosting an armour GB later in the year! Better watch out or I'll be building a ship.....

No-one judges, we just have fun, and goodness knows we all have DNFs but it doesn't stop us.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

I hear you Tony. I signed on the old forum in 2011 I believe. At Mr Bradley’s invite. Immediately found a home. I lurk on two different sites but only play on this one.

I think we all do whatever we can. I’ve tried different genres and landed on some new ones

SMW is on my bucket list.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

Going back over the years you're not the first to share those sentiments Tony but they do bear repeating, often I think, as the numbers speak for themselves as you point out. Sometimes I think if it weren't for by Blitzbau completions I would get anything finished ever! This is and always has been my "home" forum as I find some of the others a bit overwhelming (or I don't like the Tapatalk format).
So I echo what Tony has said - please have a go at a Blitzbau if you haven't before, whether you've been a UAMF'er for years of just a few weeks, we will make you very welcome.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
Crashpilot
...happily fooling around with styrene

Post by Crashpilot »

I understand what you mean, Tony. And I have good memories about the times, when I was posting more regularly here.
I used to be a go-it-alone guy for most of my life, and this forum helped me to go on, when I felt that this lifestyle started to bring me down more and more.
Now I´m much more open with people, and enjoy their company a lot more then I used to. So, whenever I have some free time, I´m more likely to meet up with people, than to hit the workbench. I credit this change mostly to my godchild, who became more like an own daughter to me, I absolutely adore her.
Well, who knows, how she´s gonna be like, when she becomes adolescent? Maybe then I´ll start to enjoy the workbench a lot more, then now? :lol: :lol:
(at least I still got a Jet Provost on the go on my wb, which will be completed really soon)
Waiting for the day, when wars for territory will be something to be read about in history books only.

Playing Tetris taught me: If I clean up too much, my kits disappear.....8-(

Markus, alias Crashpilot, or Crash, or CP, as you wish
wokka

Post by wokka »

Very well put Tony, but the beauty about this forum is that it does ahare a lot of knowledge amongst the members, new and old and everyone's different. What would be great is if as you say some of the newer less active ones did dip their Toe, we all did it at some time and I think most of us actually got more out of it because of that.
It's only pain, work through it.
H-bomb
Is His Name Really Howard?

Post by H-bomb »

Completely agree. in fact the GBs are my favourite part of the forum. Actually only reason I haven't participated in the C130 gb is cos I don't have a C130.
But there is no way ill be doing a Blitzbau. The gaffer would never let me spend 24hrs at the bench.
Cheers Howard
Just to add, Ive probably learned more through joining in with GB mostly through advice /tips from fellow builders and because I generally try to do a better job than if im left to my own devices.
acquired 1
Built 2
Disposed none

On the bench. Airfix Handley Page 0/400 , Escadron Hunting Percival Pembroke
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

There have been over 90 views, optimistically 80 of them are ‘lurkers’, observers and/or newbies. Please, if that is you, join in, enjoy the banter and advice - on this forum there is no real negativity just help, advice and guidance. Give it a shot - got a C130 in your ‘stash’? Break it out and join the current GB.
Tony

The older I get the better I was!
Current build:
Airfix 1:72 Javelin FAW9
Particular modelling interests:
Cuban Airforce aircraft, 29(F) Sqn aircraft, Aircraft I’ve flown
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

I often wonder how go get more participation.

Most forums lost readership to social media, so I wonder if we can do something to encourage folks to come back.

I've considered something like using Teams, Zoom, or Slack or whatever to schedule virtual group build sessions, and then saving the footage to post later.

Maybe having a UAMF YouTube channel where highlights can be posted. IDK. Just throwing some ideas around.

Just posting build logs with a few badly lit photos (guilty as charged, your honor)then having the same 10 dudes come through the say "good work" and "nice job" doesn't really cut it for a lot of people anymore. For better AND for worse.

Return to “General Chat”