3 inch gun motor carriage M10

Millitary miscellany; Tanks, AFV, Trucks and other Soft-Skin vehicles etc.
flakmonkey
Modelling Gent and Scholar

3 inch gun motor carriage M10

Post by flakmonkey »

Or, yet another Sherman. Perhaps more accurately, the hunted becomes the hunter.

The M10 was the US Army's first genuinely effective self propelled (as opposed to towed gun) tank destroyer. There was, of course, the excellent M5 towed gun (a development of the M3 AA gun) and the M3 half track with the M1897 75mm (aka the French 75) a gun designed almost 30 years before the first tank ever rolled a track. That's not to say that the M3 TD was ineffective, it certainly was not, but it suffered heavy losses due to its poor mobility and therefore an inability to shoot and scoot. In the Kessereine Pass, 20 M3 TDs were lost against 30 tanks destroyed.

Despite the entire US Army TD doctrine being deeply flawed, the M10 was a quantum leap ahead of the beleagured M3 half track. It had genuine battlefield mobility thanks to its M4A2 chassis and automotives, and some pretty serious hitting power from the 3 inch M7 gun (a development of the M3 AA gun and the towed M5 AT gun). It could certainly defeat any enemy frontal armor until the introduction of the Tiger II using HVAP ammunition, and even that stately beast was vulnerable to a flanking attack from the M10.

It was also unique in the US Army as having the M4A2's beasty GM twin diesel powerplant (as opposed to the Continental radial or the Ford V8 which all other US Shermans had) whose ability to be run on one half of the engine helped this ambush merchant to achieve maximum sneakery, pulling like a train from idle so that the M10 could be manouvered pretty quietly into a hull down ambush position. With no need to accomodate a tall powerplant as in the original M4 design, the M10 upper hull was redesigned to present a lower and less observable profile.

The M10 was speedy and could achieve over 30mph across terrain with astonishing forward and reverse acceleration, thanks to its minimal armor and grunty diesel, and was also on the inevitable other side of the coin highly vulnerable to incoming fire, thanks to its minimal armor and open top configuration. Despite its many undeniable flaws the M10 GMC was a welcome and much needed addition to the allied armory during the Normandy breakout and provided sterling service until the war's end despite being "replaced" twice by the M18 Hellcat and the M36 Jackson.

It's worth noting that Audie Murphy won his Medal of Honor manning the M2 machine gun of a burning M10 against fierce enemy opposition.

The M10 was never given a name, being known mainly as the TD, although Chrysler did attempt to call it the Wolverine. It saw service with the US Army, the Free French, Yugoslavia (well into the 21st Century), and the Royal Artillery. Some Royal Artillery M10s were retrofitted with the Ordnance QF 17 Pdr, in which configuration it was known as the SP Achilles.

That's the broad brushstrokes history of this important vehicle. and now the model.

I shall be basically working from the Overlord boxing of the Academy M10 GMC, which uses the tried and trusted Academy M4 VVSS hull and all new parts designed by Def Model for the top bits.

This is the "early" turret version with the wedge shaped counterweights as opposed to the later duckbill type. It has the correct rear panel and engine deck for the GM 6046 diesel of the A2 upon which the M10 was based. Be still, my beating heart. A diesel Sherman. Yes please.

Sadly, the kit suffers from Academy's awful rubber band tracks. Vinyl tracks can be done really well (looks at Trumpeter's very nice Challenger 2 tracks) but these are dreadful. The M1919 MGs could do with some help, too. We have that all covered.

I'll also be replacing the Academy roadwheels with the concave "dogdish" wheels from the Zvezda M4A2, along with the Academy pressed steel "spoked" idlers and the Chrysler pattern forged steel drive sprockets, again from Academy. This would be historically correct for the early 1945 Battle of Germany vehicle which I intend to model. The Zvezda wheels have been bored out to fit the Academy suspension arms.

The kit features a full interior courtesy of Def Model, and it should be quite a lot of fun to put together.

Remember: You can never have too many Shermans.
Would ya like to learn to fly? Would ya? Would you like to see me try?
Cardinal
Getting well comfy!

Re: 3 inch gun motor carriage M10

Post by Cardinal »

Looks like you got your work cut out for you again Flak. Happy modeling! :ha:
Alex

The more effort I put into a model, the better it becomes!
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

I learned a few things reading that intro. Should be a nice build.

Nigel
David Silver
Active Participant

Post by David Silver »

This looks like its going to be a huge amount of fun!
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Great choice, this should be good!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
flakmonkey

Post by flakmonkey »

Thanks for looking in.

Off to a start here, with the lower hull built up and the interior installed. Def Model, who did the design work for Academy on this kit, have done a nice job on the interior.

The turret, also, features some nice interior detail, especially on the gun breech and carriage assembly which is very well detailed.

I should be able to get the interior painted up today, and maybe finish off the turret. A nice, problem free kit, so far.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Great progress, Steve. The interior does indeed look very good and is a great advantage when modelling an open-turret vehicle such as this - often tank interiors in kits are a bit of a waste of time, as little can be seen even with the hatches open.

IPMS#12300
B4en

Post by B4en »

What superb detail! And painting to match.
The past, present, and future walked into a bar. It was tense.
flakmonkey

Post by flakmonkey »

Thanks for looking.

I have completed the interior, including the 32 rounds of main gun ammunition (contained in their protective cardboard tubes) in the sponson racks. The interior was painted in Ammo chipping rust, then I went over that with Ammo washable white camo. Once the white was dry, I used a lightly moistened Q-Tip to gently remove it from the checkerplate flooring and various edges to expose the worn colour underneath. Some light washing and drybrushing followed.

I also completed the turret, and have tried everything out for fit. As usual with Academy Sherman kits, there is a 1.2mm gap between the glacis and the bolt plate that connects the differential housing. A strip of sheet styrene deals with this quickly and quite easily.

Current job is assembling the AFV Club tracks. These are fiddly. I am making two short workable runs of 12 links each to wrap around the drive sprockets and idlers and drop down to the road wheels, and shall assemble the top and bottom runs as fixed lengths.

Something of a tedious job, but they do look so much better than the rubber band tracks that are in the kit.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

This is progressing very well indeed and that's a great bit of finishing on the interior.

IPMS#12300
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Nice weathering on the interior.

Nigel
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

I'm so glad you are building this as the historical, building and colour references are all invaluable to me as I have recently bought the Airfix version (same kit re-boxer by Airfix?). Your builds are always a master class mate and I appreciate the effort you go to with your photos and reporting. Gawd bless ya guvnor!
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
flakmonkey

Post by flakmonkey »

Thanks all for looking and for commenting.

In the end I decided I would bite the bullet, and I assembled the tracks to be fully workable. The AFV Club tracks are really quite fiddly to assemble, and as such assembly takes quite some time, but the end result is worth the effort.

I have also elected to change out the front fenders for 23 inch Sherman items. The factory fenders were a notorious mud trap, and were often removed entirely or replaced with the 23 inch fenders from a HVSS Sherman. One can only speculate as to where the M10 crews obtained these items, but I suspect the means were nefarious.

I have also attached the side racks for the track grousers onto the upper hull, but attached them further forward than the instructions suggest. This again was a field modification, intended to place the racks directly over the sponson ammunition racks and provide some spaced armour effect against shaped charges. Incidentally, the round bosses all over the hull and turret were for the fitting of spaced armour kits. These were produced, but never used by the US Army. The Royal Artillery did sometimes fit them.

I have finished the turret assembly, and decided to paint and decal it because why not. The M2 and M1919 machine guns and their mounts and ammunition cans, belts, and trays are all from the Academy US Machine Guns set. I have added a map case to the right hand turret interior wall. The Cartograph decals are excellent, and the sheet is quite comprehensive, covering eight M10s in total.

My next job is to finish assembling the upper hull so that it can be painted.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Very nice, Steve!
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
B4en

Post by B4en »

That's looking splendid Flak. I didn't know that about the turret spaced armour.

So are you sorting the suspension as well to really show off those working tracks? :mrgreen:
The past, present, and future walked into a bar. It was tense.

Return to “Tanks, AFV and other Military Models”