Airfix Scharnhorst

If it goes on or under the wet stuff and doesn't fly, it's in here.
Gallifrean12
starter kit

Airfix Scharnhorst

Post by Gallifrean12 »

Can anyone please tell me what the difference is with the admiral's bridge on the scharnhorst kit as the one I have made from airfix does not seem to match other images showing an enclosed bridge ?

Many thanks

DavidWomby
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Airfix Scharnhorst

Post by DavidWomby »

I am no ship expert but a quick search has found me lots of photos of the Scharnhorst Admiral's Bridge looking like your upper photo. This one, for example, from Wikipedia

Perhaps it was altered later in her service life?

David
Gallifrean12
starter kit

Post by Gallifrean12 »

Hi David,

Thank you for your message, it would follow, what is interesting is, on Wikipedia it states about some modifications being made in 1939 but it does not go into much detail so maybe when that when the admiral's bridge was changed ? Perhaps a book on it may hold the clue ?
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

I haven't read this but here's a profile on Scharnhorst and Gneisenau.

https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery ... -Gneisenau

David
Gallifrean12
starter kit

Post by Gallifrean12 »

Thanks David, that is really helpful, will have a good read through.

Kind regards

Matt
KellerModeller
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by KellerModeller »

Maybe the version in the 2nd picture is the result of mis-interpreting the 1st picture version when using reference pictures that are showing it from below. Due to the ships size, most closer pictures of the bridge would be from below... 🤔
I like to carve old kits into something roughly aircraft/tank shaped... :grin:
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

Here are some notes I made when I built the Airfix Scharnhorst. They don't answer your question, but you may find little clues.

Launched on 3rd October 1936 and commissioned in January 1939, in April 1940 she was accompanied by the Admiral Hipper and ten destroyers and took part in the invasion of Norway. HMS Renown engaged them, but both vessels escaped. Later that year she sank the aircraft carrier HMS Glorious and two destroyers off the Norwegian coast. At the Battle of North Cape, 26 December 1943, after an encounter with HMS Belfast, HMS’s Duke of York and Jamaica sank her. When commissioned in January 1939, Scharnhorst didn't carry Arado Ar 196A-3's as they weren't yet in production and she carried Heinkel He 114's. At some point in mid-to-late 1939 they were replaced with Arado Ar 196A-3s. Around the same time (July-August 1939) she had her bluff bow replaced by a longer "Atlantic" bow. So, as the Airfix kit has the bluff bow, then you can assume that the planes are supposed to be He114's. So, should you wish to model her at the Battle of North Cape you should alter the bow, change the aircraft and make other changes too.

David's picture shows the Atlantic bow, so a later refit that the Airfix depiction.
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Here she is pre-Atlantic bow refit. Same Admirals Bridge.
Gallifrean12
starter kit

Post by Gallifrean12 »

Hi all,

Thank you very much for all the information I have received, after purchasing a book I have discovered that the admiral's bridge was enclosed in 1942, that is why my model is different, my version must date from 1940 to 1942 as the radar set on the foretop is different to the one after 1942, the radar set on mine is pre 1942. So I think that was the clue.

Once again thanks for all your support

Matt
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Nice to get the full answer. Thanks.

David
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

Gallifrean12 wrote: February 27th, 2024, 8:46 pm Hi all,

Thank you very much for all the information I have received, after purchasing a book I have discovered that the admiral's bridge was enclosed in 1942, that is why my model is different, my version must date from 1940 to 1942 as the radar set on the foretop is different to the one after 1942, the radar set on mine is pre 1942. So I think that was the clue.

Once again thanks for all your support

Matt
Which model do you have then? The Airfix Scharnhorst has the early bow, which bridge does it have?
Airfix Tribute Forum
Gallifrean12
starter kit

Post by Gallifrean12 »

Sorry for the delay in replying, I have a reintroduction of the Airfix Scharnhorst, I think it was released on the 70th anniversary of the channel dash. It looks like it was modelled after the bow was modified and before the admiral's bridge was enclosed in another modification before her last mission
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

Gallifrean12 wrote: April 1st, 2024, 10:16 pm Sorry for the delay in replying, I have a reintroduction of the Airfix Scharnhorst, I think it was released on the 70th anniversary of the channel dash. It looks like it was modelled after the bow was modified and before the admiral's bridge was enclosed in another modification before her last mission
A re-introduction? I don't understand! The Airfix mould was never changed. It depicts the ship at one tine (allegedly). It doesn't have the Atlantic bow, so must be based on a pre-August 1939 fit. What date do you think the bridge was modelled on?
Airfix Tribute Forum
Davem
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Davem »

Is it the Heller kit by any chance that's got the 'Atlantic bow'
Gallifrean12
starter kit

Post by Gallifrean12 »

I think so, never purchased that one but from memory I think that kit has the "Atlantic bow"

Return to “Ships, Boats and Submarines”