Skypirate's Hideaway

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Skypirate's Hideaway

Post by Dazzled »

I'm getting very enamoured with Vallejo's new acrylic metallics. I'd recommend them unreservedly. I'm looking forward to seeing you work your magic on this David and I'll be trying to resist buying one for myself........not very hard though ;-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

For a cheaper NMF, get yourself some spray cans from Super Cheap Auto. They occasionally have 4 cans on special for $10. Try the Silver and Chrome, they are both different. I think the Silver is the shinier of the two. I've used them on a Vampire, a P-47, and a B-29. They worked alright for me, but I'm a kind of 'looks right, is right', type of modeller.

Nigel
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

I have tried some from Bunnings. They rub off too easily, in my experience. So sealing with floor polish is essential.

Cheers,

David
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

With the Return of the Hustler, it has assumed priority over the others on the workbench. A few more touch ups and I can turn to some decalling. (I am leaving the wheels until later).
And the Luftwaffe Phantom is showing progress too.

We are tolerating above average, sweltering weather here for the last couple of weeks and it can get oppressively hot in my model room. So I have been spending less time in there.

Thanks for looking.

David
Narayan
If anyone needs me, I'll be in my office

Post by Narayan »

The metallic work you have been doing is excellent David.

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

A:B 2017 0:0 2016 27:10 2015 53:07 2014 21:04 2013 39:12 2012 20:05 2011 11:10 2010 44:12 2009 19:16 2008 16:03 Overall 332:84
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

Both projects look great. I really like the Hustler though.
Marek

Post by Marek »

Welcome back Hustler, that finish looks excellent!
planecrazyman61

Post by planecrazyman61 »

both are looking good david is the phantom scheme going to be the NORM81 scheme , could you put up some colour callouts/what paints you have used for the phantom i'd be interested to know as the colours you've used look spot on
cheers craig
celt

Post by celt »

Well tidy NMF work Skypirate.
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

planecrazyman61 wrote:is the phantom scheme going to be the NORM81 scheme , could you put up some colour callouts/what paints you have used for the phantom i'd be interested to know as the colours you've used look spot on
cheers craig
Thanks, chaps.
To be honest, the NMF is not as good as it should be, but after 10+ years, I just want it to be over!

Craig,
I found online the 3-view plan for HaHen decals for Norm81A and 81B Phantoms. 81A is more angular, 81B is more curved. I will be doing 81A.
I have not seen these schemes up close, in the flesh. (I did photograph some Phantoms in the circuit at Neuberg on an overcast day in 1986, but even with my telephoto lens I did not get very useful photos).
My best efforts to match with the paints that I have: underside colours RAL7035 = FS36622 and RAL 7030 = FS36375.
The upper camouflage: RAL7005 = FS34079 lightened, RAL7039 = FS34102 lightened, RAL 7037 = FS36270, and RAL7012 Basaltgrau which I have as Xtracolour X254. The degree of lightening will be worked out as I go. Fingers crossed!
All the FS numbers above are the gloss shades, and all available from Xtracolour. (I can no longer get Xtracolour in Australia).

3 February edit:
---------------------
All the above is suspect, particularly the upper surface grey shades. I think I derived those conversions looking at comparative charts, and when I now check against RAL charts the conversions are wrong.
See: http://www.e-paint.co.uk/RAL_Colourchart.asp
I have only one of these RAL colours. So I will simply have to mix shades that look right to me. I will leave the undersurface colours as they are.
Sorry about the confusion!
---------------------

cheers,

David
Migrant
Happily Landed after Many Circuits and Bumps

Post by Migrant »

I'm really liking that B-58.
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Anyone wishing to build the Italeri B-58 - I would advise wheels up!
Too late for me. There are 16 wheels, each with 2 ejector pin marks on one side of the tyre (on the same side of the wheel). The main wheels are mounted in pairs, so half those ejector marks are between the two wheels and not glaringly obvious, but all can be seen.
After I have a little lie down, I will try to minimise the appearance.

The Hustler is one of my favourite aircraft, but this is certainly not one of my favourite models. What with the NMF, and now this - too much work!

cheers,

David
Listening today: Cream, Chain
PGAS
Active Participant

Post by PGAS »

The Hustler is looking great. It is one of the sleekest bombers I can think of. The NMF is coming along very nicely. Nice and clean!
Paul

This is it. The moment we should have trained for.
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Thanks, Paul.
I am still painting fiddly bits on the Hustler with the hairy stick. I will tackle those wheels tomorrow!

Meanwhile, the Phantom has taken my mix of RAL 7039 quartz grey, being a 2:1 mix of Xtracolour X210 Braunviolett (RLM 81) and Humbrol 40 gloss grey. The online colour chart shows a very browny grey, and I reckon I have got pretty close.

The rest of the upper camouflage consists of 3 more shades of grey. I am simply going to use 3 different Xtracolour greys (including 1 legitimate RAL shade) to approximate the overall effect.

Major assembly of the Dako Plast 1/72 IL-2T is complete.

The trailing edge of the outer wings are a bit thicker than the inboard section at the join. And there are significant gaps at the butt join of the tailplanes. You can see some styrene strip used as filler.
I added a paperclip dowel to strengthen those butt joins. All the air scoops around the nose are separate parts that do not fit well. The under-fuselage radiator is not assembled yet.
Rough bits aside this, looks the part of the tough IL-2. There is plenty of engraved detail, including some rivets - not overdone.

Thanks for looking,

David
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Ooh, just great looking metal work. My biggest modeling boogie man.

Eh, nah. Maybe biplane rigging.

And that phantom is shaping up to be something wonderful, too.

Return to “Workbench Window”