2014 Display theme idea...

Theme, what theme!? Just great CBKs.

Moderator: JamesPerrin

JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Re: 2014 Display theme idea...

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

That's a good idea, Matt - it does take the theme pressure off. One issue with Box-Art is that the box art had to be interesting/exciting - not necessarily that the kit was also of interest to the modeler.

So we'd have CBK's for their own sake and as valued by the modeler.

It's my CBK, I can do what I want with it .... subject to a selection by the SIG for variety and self-control.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

Perhaps, just to stop it looking like too much like a "blast from the past", we could start by stipulating that the only rule is that the model has not already appeared on a CBK display, and encourage the widest possible participation to get a diversity of subjects and scales in 75-100 "new build" models from SIG members. If that doesn't provide enough, we can always "fill in the gaps" with things that have been built before... (Of course, I mean the specific model, not that if ANYONE'S Airfix Spitfire Mk IX has appeared on a display before then there can't be any Spitfire IXs on show)

I can feel a Revell (GB) S-Sugar Lanc boxart diorama, a Matchbox Stranraer, a "then and now" pairing of Airfix Harriers or Lightnings, a couple of Airfix 54mm figures and an Airfix 1/24 James Bond car in full fettle coming on...

bestest,
M.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

You scared me for a minute with the "not already appeared" rule :shock: , but I finally think I've got it :grin:
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

...if someone else wants to build the 1/12 Blower Bentley for the display then brilliant, but I shouldn't just dust off mine and stick it on the table...

To begin with, anyway!

bestest,
M.
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Dazzled »

mattbacon wrote:...if someone else wants to build the 1/12 Blower Bentley for the display then brilliant, but I shouldn't just dust off mine and stick it on the table...

To begin with, anyway!

bestest,
M.
I could do mine. It's already started and quite advanced. It does have a back story too. I was building it for my Dad as a present for his 75th birthday. Then he died suddenly. I didn't know if I'd ever finish it and I'd considered throwing it out a couple of times because of how it made me feel just to look at it, but I think that this might be a fitting reason to build it now.

As for the idea of an "it's my CBK" display, I love it. 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

That sounds like a very positive step -- good idea...

bestest,
M.
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

Love Matt's idea, I think it will take a lot of contention out of choosing any other theme - you builds what you wants - everybody's happy. Not sure about the voting bit, I'd rather just nominate what I intend to build, because it should be what I want to build, not what other people want me to build. I for one will be looking at non-aircraft builds as many of the box-art dios I still have on my list are things like the gorgeous, original Airfix 1/72 Golden Hind box picture with 100 or so soldiers and sailors clamouring for a fight - with the enemy, not each other - on the decks (I already have the figures), likewise the 1/12 Bengal Lancer posed on a craggy outcrop against a stunning mountainous backdrop. Also, the Airfix Emergency Rescue Set - OK you can see a bit of a plane but it is all but burnt up innit?!
Lets get it on!
Cheers
Al
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

Agreed -- I'm not sure we need the complexity of voting. But it would be good to have a list of suggestions for review so that we can guard against too much duplication (or make a feature of it -- "The Airfix Spitfire IX JE-J is the all time favorite CBK -- here are seven different modellers' takes on this old war-horse...").

bestest,
M.
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

...and I'm not suggesting we should abandon "themed" builds for ever, either -- this one might be a "bit of a breather" before, next year by popular acclaim, we take on a table full of ONLY vac-form CBKs following build articles published in the Airfix Magazine between 1965 and 1975...

bestest,
M.
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

mattbacon wrote:...and I'm not suggesting we should abandon "themed" builds for ever, either -- this one might be a "bit of a breather" before, next year by popular acclaim, we take on a table full of ONLY vac-form CBKs following build articles published in the Airfix Magazine between 1965 and 1975...

bestest,
M.
Absolutely Matt. I for one certainly feel I need a "year off" so to speak so your idea seems just the bisquit :ha:
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

I reckon the only rule we should have is:

NO SPITFIRES!

:ha: :ha: :ha:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Has anybody made a list yet?

Or checked it twice ;-) ?
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Actually, I took a first cut; need to go back in a couple areas; then get realistic and delete the Matchbox Flower ....
TomW

Post by TomW »

I've got a few in mind including a vacform or two, a bit more thought and I can post up my list if this is the way we're going.

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

I have some in mind, but nothing firm as yet.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"

Return to “SMW 2014 - Display”